Hope Vision 1 - Winter will soon be with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The cateye might do you fine, but you can't seriously suggest it's anything like as bright as a hope 1. Put the two together on the road, and I dare say you won't be able to notice if someone turns the cateye on or off as the hope will totally drown out the rather dim cateye.

potsy

Rambler
The cateye might do you fine, but you can't seriously suggest it's anything like as bright as a hope 1. Put the two together on the road, and I dare say you won't be able to notice if someone turns the cateye on or off as the hope will totally drown out the rather dim cateye.

I went from a Cateye el320? to a Hope1 and the Hope on lowest setting is about the same as the Cateye on it's only setting.
You don't realise how good these lights are until you see them in action,probably the best addition to my cycling goodies
thumbsup.png

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Ok got my new Hope 1. The next question is does anyone have any tips for getting those stupid little rubber handle bar mounts in or should I just forget about them??? :tongue:

A bit of a pain. I put them onto the recess as straight as possible, then apply firm pressure, not too hard, and wiggle your thumb/finger gently to and fro.

potsy

Rambler
A bit of a pain. I put them onto the recess as straight as possible, then apply firm pressure, not too hard, and wiggle your thumb/finger gently to and fro.

Just remembered I did similar to you,put them in a little bit straight as possible then clamped the light to the bars and tightened it up,the pressure forced them in all the way-easy.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just remembered I did similar to you,put them in a little bit straight as possible then clamped the light to the bars and tightened it up,the pressure forced them in all the way-easy.

Oh, that's very clever. Wish I'd thought of that.

Davidc

Guru

I have a Cateye EL530, and with a CYO 60 dynamo light running I can't tell if its on or off. If I'm riding with someone else alongside or behind me who has a Hope V1 I can only just tell if the CYO is working or not. The Hope is seriously bright. The only issue, as with the Cateye, that I've had pointed out by owners is that the spread isn't wide enough,

The Cateye was a reasonable choice as a light with standard self contained batteries when I bought it but it has been overtaken. I'm sure the Hope V1 will be overtaken soon. For anyone not dripping with money it's important to remember that if a set of bike lights was OK last year it still will be this year, and they only need replacing when they go wrong.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Amusingly, I do remember having two Cateye EL500s on my bike and thinking: "Wow, I've got some light power now!!". They were fine, very usable, but really no comparison at all to modern lights. I've gone off cateye front lights a little because of their mounts often breaking, and because they seem a little overpriced and are so far behind the leading edge of LED technology.

Davidc

Guru
Amusingly, I do remember having two Cateye EL500s on my bike and thinking: "Wow, I've got some light power now!!". They were fine, very usable, but really no comparison at all to modern lights. I've gone off cateye front lights a little because of their mounts often breaking, and because they seem a little overpriced and are so far behind the leading edge of LED technology.

Yes - agreed. I think it's a reflection on how fast the LED technology has moved. My Cateye light only dates from 2008 and as you say it was one of the bright ones then. I bought two of the better mounts last year which improved useability.

If Cateye want to stay in the lighting market they'll have to update their offering and compete on price again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Ha...had 2 x EL520's before getting my Hopes. They weren't bad, and I'd got them for £15 each in a sale (RRP was nearer £40).. perfectly OK for lit roads, and fine coupled with a 3w torch for some dark lanes, although I went for 2 x Hopes after getting knocked off - I'm probably a bit OTT with the lights now though..... :whistle:

But for £40-£50 that the plastic cateyes cost, they just don't cut the mustard with slightly more expensive Hope/magic shine/LED torches/Exposure bunch etc....too overpriced.

Norm

I can do that one for you (fixed camera exposure)...

Cateye HL-EL135
th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg

Cateye HL-EL135 and Exposure Joystick on low
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoysticklow.jpg

Cateye HL-EL135 and Exposure Joystick on high
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg

Cateye HL-EL135 and Exposure MaxxD on low
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Norm_X1/Cycles/=CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg

Cateye HL-EL135 and Exposure MaxxD on high
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg

Smithy

Veteran
Ok got my new Hope 1. The next question is does anyone have any tips for getting those stupid little rubber handle bar mounts in or should I just forget about them??? :tongue:

Just got my first Hope 1 yesterday. I found that using a little washing up liquid helped, I managed to get both tips in within a minute or two.

Must admit that the light is brighter than I first thought it would.

Of out shortly for my first light ride.

Top Bottom