Hope Vision 1 - Winter will soon be with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
Hopefully my Hope Vision 1 will be waiting for me when I get in tonight ready for tonights FNRttC.

Got mine from tredz, has been 2 weeks as they were out of stock but they didn't charge my card.

Davidc

Guru
On batteries, I'd recommend hybrids on all AAA or AA powered lights, especially in summer - i.e. long 'no use time charge hold'.. Never had any run issues with the Hope 1 lights, and if you run a 'rotating battery' system with Hope 1's you'll be fine - I run 2 x Hope 1's with 3 sets of batteries, charge and swap over once a week - twice if conditions have been bad and I need to run any more over the second setting.

You all need to think is what best suits your commute best - i.e. quick on/off, batteries/ chargers etc - they don't all fit one person. We all have a different opinion/requirements... One main point is don't buy the overpriced low power 'main manufacturer' stuff...........

That principle is a good one.

I've worked on the basis of changing batteries over weekly in winter for years. I have one set in the lights and a spare set in the tool bag in a plastic box. Each Friday evening the in use set go in the charger, the spares in the box go in the lights and the set which were in the charger go in the plastic box. Over a 2 week period the self-discharge is irrelevant. Very occasionally the set of batteries in the box get put in, but really it might be more sensible to replace those with alkaline ones and just use 2 sets in rotation.

In summer I'm not as fastidious with the charging, and the newer rechargeables with less self-discharge are useful.

Sensible use of rechargeable batteries saves quite a bit of money in a short time, and rechargeables last a long time if treated well. I'm just beginning to throw out (as they fail) a batch of 12 AAAs I bought in 2005 which have been running lights and alarms ever since, and they've replaced several hundred alkaline batteries. I've bought a set of the hybrio low discharge ones (recommended by other CCers) to replace them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Trouble is - it can't run on batteries that can be bought anywhere, whereas the Hope Vision 1 does.

Ah well................

We all have different needs.................that's life................... The Magic Shines, and rears look brill, but won't work for some..............

fossyant

PS to lighten up this thread............

I get comments from colleagues when coming to the office........................ "What are they........"

Their opinions are like some mad air horns, rocket launchers, ..............some mad attachment, no-one thinks they are lights........................... :thumbsup:

I say don't look into the beam........................................ they do........................................... :whistle:

fossyant

PS I took my Hope 1's on Cub camp in May, just in case things went wrong............................. ..ahem....
Well let's say the cub tents were pitched in the dark......... via my Hope 1's............... then the Hope 1's were lights in the tents as the kids got their beds sorted out, them the Hope 1's went on max and lighted up the camp field.......................................

So not just bike lights.................................:biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Judging by the number of experienced night-riders (amongst whom I am not numbered) using Hope Vision One's on last Friday's FNRttC, that light seems to get some kind of "seal of approval". As others have said, try to get AAs with at least 2000mAh capacity. A great light.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Judging by the number of experienced night-riders (amongst whom I am not numbered) using Hope Vision One's on last Friday's FNRttC, that light seems to get some kind of "seal of approval". As others have said, try to get AAs with at least 2000mAh capacity. A great light.

I've just bought one of these after completing last Friday's FNRttC on a commuter front light. Let's just say some lanes at around 2am were "interesting"!!!

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter which charger I use, I've just ordered some 2100mAh batteries.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
PS I took my Hope 1's on Cub camp in May, just in case things went wrong............................. ..ahem....
Well let's say the cub tents were pitched in the dark......... via my Hope 1's............... then the Hope 1's were lights in the tents as the kids got their beds sorted out, them the Hope 1's went on max and lighted up the camp field.......................................

So not just bike lights.................................:biggrin:

I always take a Hope 1 when we go camping :biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
If I can't cure a fault which appeared on my Cateye yesterday evening I'll be joining the Hope Vision 1 club. Don't want to spend the £67 at present though. :angry:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Torn between the Hope and the Ixon - the Ixon looks a lot friendlier to other traffic, although not sure about the light output for night riding.

I'd hoped to have a dynamo wheel built up by now, but it looks like that will be put off for another year (at least).

At the time of my commute, I'm already starting to have to use lights in the morning, and it peed down this morning. Really does feel like winter's on the way :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Martin,
cancel that order.
There are more powerfull batteries you can get. 2700mAH.
These are what I have inc. Charger @ £14.99 inc P+P.

They last a good 8-10 hours on setting 2 (which is all you need for the FNRttC
I've just bought one of these after completing last Friday's FNRttC on a commuter front light. Let's just say some lanes at around 2am were "interesting"!!!

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter which charger I use, I've just ordered some 2100mAh batteries.

Top Bottom