Hope Vision 1 - Winter will soon be with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Question on these lights - I have three bikes all used at various times for commuting with wildly differing handlebars in terms of gauge and space available. Given that in London the need for two lights both front and rear is wise, by the time you have a computer fitted, there's not a lot of room left on the bars.
Other lights I either already possess or are looking at don't seem to fit all.
Does the Hope Vision 1 have fairly versatile mountings that will get round this problem?

£67 is the best price I've heard for this - where was that?

It's just a simple clamp, but it's quick release and fairly small.
I run two, plus a computer and it's a little cramped but perfectly workable.
I did buy one of these extension thingys to free up some room but I've never actually needed it. I'm sure I would with the satmap mounted on the stem as well!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It's worth pointing out that you can buy spare battery chambers for £4 and change them over very quickly if they do run out. Personally I found Hope's estimates very accurate for burn time.

That is extremely worthwhile IME. It can be a bit of a faff swapping the batteries out, especially when you're hands are cold.
I carry a spare cradle so that changing the batteries becomes very quick and easy.

Davidc

Guru
I have one of those (front) Cateye EL530s. Having met the Hope Vision 1 the Cateye will be replaced by the Hope when it wears out. If it was my main lighting the change would be sooner.

That's sorted then, I'm sticking next to you on FNRttC. :rolleyes:

Hope 1s are positively dull in comparison to some who roll through the night..you'll be surprised Martin! :smile:

Brahan

Über Member
Check out this company: http://www.exposurelights.com/

I bought the Diablo for the following reasons: It's light enough to be helmet mounted, has no cables to get in the way, has 700 lumes (1hr) in top setting but has 10 hours in low setting where it still kicks out enough beam for night riding (without lamp posts), it looks cool and comes with a 'free' 2 year warranty. I highly recommend them.

They're a bit more pricey than a lot of others on the market but you have a few months to save.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hope 2 and 4 are better (brighter lights) but you are now into custom battery packs.

All depends upon what you want, for me it was the convenience of AA batteries, once they die, they can be binned and replaced cheaply, although still on my Panasonic Infiniums I bought over 12 months ago. And if you run out of juice, it's no big deal carrying a few extra AA's....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hope 2 and 4 are better (brighter lights) but you are now into custom battery packs.

All depends upon what you want, for me it was the convenience of AA batteries, once they die, they can be binned and replaced cheaply, although still on my Panasonic Infiniums I bought over 12 months ago. And if you run out of juice, it's no big deal carrying a few extra AA's....

Good points. The Hope 2 and 4 look very good though, but if the 1 is adequate I think I'll go for that.

Panter

Just call me Chris...

+1

I may well get a Hope 2 for off-roading (I've been using the two Hope 1's so far for that so far) but for commuting, I don't like rechageable battery packs, I'd far rather have the convenience of using AA's.
If you do go for rechargeable AA's, go for decent ones. The Sanyo eneloops are very good but I'm very much liking their own branded alternatives too. (EDIT: Sorry, meant to say the 7 day shops branded alternatives. Highly recommended supplier BTW)
The thing with those batteries is that they don't lose their charge like a conventional rechargeable does. They also have a high power rating and can cope with the drain from the hopes (also excellent for digital cam's, satnav's etc)

beancounter

I have Hope Vision 2. It's excellent - when it works.

Twice it's failed on me (refused to turn on), twice it went back to Hope. First time they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it (thanks a lot), second time they changed the battery pack (somewhat reluctantly, I thought).

Hope are generally held to be very reliable so I guess it's just my usual stinky luck to get the duffer.

Very good light though.

bc

Top Bottom