Hopefully you can help me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mezz12321

Hi

I need to buy a decent lightset for my g/f. She rides probably just over a mile down an unlit winding country road which is rather uneven and not wide at all. Therefore it needs to be a good light. Can anyone recommend any? here are two I have found so far;-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Lunar...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1261078403&sr=8-1

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_EL320_And_TL-LD600_Light_Set_2008/5360025773/

which one is best and why? and also any others?

Thanks for your time and help

OP
OP
M

mezz12321

Also if those backlights are nothing special in the sets I could just buy a front light for around same price as she already has a cheapo back light. I'm not sure if what you're paying for is just the front one or what....sorry

Norm

I'd go with the Smart. I have the Smart rear light and it's excellent. I also have CatEye lights and they are relegated to my spares pouch.

However, Bike Radar rate this one in their reviews.

OP
OP
M

mezz12321

so one for each then. I seem to be finding better reviews for cateye one but thats mainly because can't find many for smart one. hmmmm starting to wish I'd just gone in Halfords now and just bought one lol

OP
OP
M

mezz12321

Ok Thank You. About that white lens rear light? does that mean its white light?! Is that legal or advisable?

Norm

Although I'm sure that someone will find an argument for doing so, IMO, don't put a white light at the back of your bike!

I don't know which light you are talking about but I reckon, if it says it has a white lens, then that's because it has a red LED. If you look closely at the first light which you linked to, the 1/2 watt Smart, that has a white lens in the middle but a bright red LED.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The 1/2 watt smart is an excellent rear light. Highly recommend for the price.
It does have a clear bit in the middle, but the light coming our is all red and lots of it. On flash mode, on an unlit road, the motons will complain it's too bright.

Norm

Right, as I hoped, that Cateye LD610 has red bulbs so it still lights up red.

However, it's nearly a tenner more than the Smart. ;)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd be wary of the rear light on this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Lunar-...1078403&sr=8-1

Got something similar. There isn't an external switch to turn it on, but you just press the bottom of the casing, which activates a switch just below it. Helps with weather proofing, but the version I have (different brand name, but very similar design), the manufacturing is not perfect, so turning it on and off is a bit hit-and-miss. I have it to supplement an old cateye (which I have on constant), so not that bothered if it goes from flash to constant, or constant to off without me realising it.

Top Bottom