Horizontal lines on handlebar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John1234

Hi. I recently purchased a folding bike which I'm in the process of converting to electric. I'm a tall guy and I've raised the handlebars as high as they will go. I've noticed there's some engraved horizontal lines on the handlebar stem, which is height-adjustable, and i'm trying to work out why these lines are there. I don't know if they are minimum insert lines or something else. I'm basically trying to work out if I can raise the handlebars higher than the insert level where these lines are. Anyone got any ideas on what these lines are for? I've attached a couple of photos showing the lines and where they are. Many thanks guys.

Attachments

• WIN_20190728_04_51_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190728_04_51_11_Pro.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
  • WIN_20190728_04_51_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190728_04_51_58_Pro.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 19
Can't see. Does your camera have a focus feature?

OP
OP
J

John1234

Thanks for your replies. There's no wording at all, just these horizontal engraved lines of which there are eight. The first photo I provided gives a basic view of these lines, but I realise the photos are not the clearest. I'll try to get a better photo later today.

u_i

Über Member
You can presumably pull out the stem completely and examine what the situation is. Logically some safety marking should be there and if there is no other what you see now should be this. Also the amount of stem-steerer overlap should make sense - you do not want the material to fail during riding. Don't expect a lot of adjustment margin there and you may consider a steerer extender tube.

Top Bottom