Hornby, A Model World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
At least Airfix are bringing out some new models with much better quality moulding - !
But then, 'back in the day', we didn't know any better, as Airfix, thanks to the Woolies network, had virtually cornered the modelling market - ! :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I well remember going into Woolies with my pocket money and scouring the display of Airfix kits for new models.
I think there was one other local toy shop that also carried Airfix.

presta

Guru
They were Triang Hornby when I was buying model railways:
1633725657042.png

And Triang before that:
1633725778679.png

midlife

Guru
Did the last series premiere the new Airfix Douglas Dauntless or am I thinking of another program?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Clip from the James May program on Airfix:

View: https://youtu.be/M_vRI9EThNM

Includes a lovely story told by the ex boss at Airfix who was sent a envelope full of coins by a boy saying he wanted to keep the company going with his pocket money. They sent him back a ton of kits only later to find out from other kit makers he'd done the same to all of them too and they'd responded in a similar fashion.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The picture of the Class 31 and Rocket is hilarious. Also, Rocket didn't produce smoke, only steam. It ran on coke, as locomotives were required to before the invention of the brick arch.

simongt

Guru
A while back, I bought the Airfix 'new moulding' Fw.190. Fondly recalling the 'original' I'd made back in the '60's, I gave up on the new one after having to use filler to correct the appalingly fitting engine cowling panels and breaking off the skinny 20mm. wing cannon. Ended up binning it. :angry: Why complicate things - ? The fuselage had been two sections, glue together, job done. ^_^ Not about five pieces as is now.
Hmm. :whistle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
MrsPete used to work at the Westwood, Margate, factory painting and 'finishing' trains & boats & planes (I almost feel a song coming on!)

I wonder if she'll be in the program :laugh:

simongt

Guru
Apparently the new Airfix range of 1.35 scale AFVs are reboxed Trumpeter kits. All fine well, if you are a fan of kits with a LOT of very wee fiddly parts to fit using a pair of tweezers and a very steady hand - ! :laugh:
Although if you're a true modelling masochist, Miniart do a 1.35 scale 1930s tram with over 800 parts - ! :wacko:

Top Bottom