Horrific Hit and Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Failing to stop/report an accident? Assuming the bike has jumped the junction it's their fault

Pretty small beer legally, I imagine bikes do it all the time

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You are right, it's a simple light controlled crossroads. It appears the driver did have a green light and the cyclist possibly crossed on red. I won't speculate further than that.

I guess it depends on the size & layout of the junction, and speed of the cyclist. I know junctions on my route where I can be crossing the stop line as the lights go amber and still not be clear of it when conflicting traffic gets a green. The green means go only if the way is clear.

Failing to stop/report an accident? Assuming the bike has jumped the junction it's their fault

Pretty small beer legally, I imagine bikes do it all the time
I am misunderstanding you? Are you saying it's not a serious crime to leave someone lying injured on the road after you have hit them with your car?

I don't know of any cyclists who do this at all, because if you hit someone hard enough to knock them down, you are generally going to injured yourself.

Cronorider

Same thing happened here recently - cyclist was charged with failing to yield - although the driver stayed at the scene

TVC

I guess it depends on the size & layout of the junction, and speed of the cyclist. I know junctions on my route where I can be crossing the stop line as the lights go amber and still not be clear of it when conflicting traffic gets a green. The green means go only if the way is clear.
I said possibly, it's a simple two direction junction in a residential area. The issue is not where blame for the collision lies, it's the actions of the driver following the collision.

Drago

Legendary Member
With any luck the driver will somehow be in breach of amateur radio regulations, which would guarantee them ten times the punishment.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Terrible hit and run, but both driver and cyclist must have been in worlds of their own as there seemed plenty of time for them to have seen each other and avoided the collision.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know junctions where I can be the third vehicle in the line when the lights go green (and the lanes are narrow enough that I cannot filter forwards), going straight ahead and still not clear when conflicting traffic gets a green. Reported it. Not fixed. While I agree that green means only if the way is clear, I suggest that highways authorities are jointly responsible for some of these sorts of collisions.

Tynan

Veteran
I am misunderstanding you? Are you saying it's not a serious crime to leave someone lying injured on the road after you have hit them with your car?

I don't know of any cyclists who do this at all, because if you hit someone hard enough to knock them down, you are generally going to injured yourself.
The law is the law, leaving someone injured is merely an aggravating factor to Failing to stop etc, be my guest and and check, I did.

I meany cyclists sometimes fail to stop at accidents, that was all

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The law is the law, leaving someone injured is merely an aggravating factor to Failing to stop etc, be my guest and and check, I did.

I meany cyclists sometimes fail to stop at accidents, that was all
HTF do they manage that? I've always stopped after being involved in a collision (not accident, please - let's not excuse anyone without good reason) - the bike's been on the floor or damaged. (And all were my fault until two months ago :blush: )

Tynan

Veteran
I've seen bikes knock off wing mirrors, sometimes on purpose, seen them hit pedestrians and either carry on or remount and ride off

The odd one knocks a ped over on the pavement and legs it, that always makes the paper naturally

Top Bottom