Horror Video Of Motorist Abuse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I see no-one has commented on the start of the video. Subtitles say "...no room to overtake here..." So what does our intrepid hero try to do? Squeeze between the silver Ford and the cones! Runcorn Bridge is very bad at times - it was even worse in the old days when there were only three lanes.
The cyclist is local and knows there are roadworks so why not look at different routes? I am not talking about Runcorn, Frodsham, Helsby, Capenhurst, Birkenhead, Liverpool, Widnes or the shorter one via Warrington. Use the shared use footpath. Cross the bridge, stop at the first bus stop, cut throught to Irwell Street and then left onto Mersey Road.
The mouthpiece of the "What's your problem I didn't actually hit you" School of Motoring speaks again.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
[QUOTE 2064712, member: 45"]Why should the cyclist look for a different route?? He wasn't causing a problem to anyone.[/quote]
If there are roadworks on your commute, do you find an alternative? Or do you suffer the roadworks and whinge about it on here? If I am travelling down the Korat by-pass to home, I have my prefered route but I also have about 10 more to choose from.
I do not know where the cyclist's destination was but if it were Widnes town centre, towards Prescot or Warrington then that would be my choice rather than face the Moor Lane roundabout. I realise that he cannot get up to 30 mph on the footpath but being safe is far better than shaving a few seconds off his time - if you disregard the time he spends arguing with fellow road users.

400bhp

Guru
If there are roadworks on your commute, do you find an alternative? Or do you suffer the roadworks and whinge about it on here? If I am travelling down the Korat by-pass to home, I have my prefered route but I also have about 10 more to choose from.
I do not know where the cyclist's destination was but if it were Widnes town centre, towards Prescot or Warrington then that would be my choice rather than face the Moor Lane roundabout. I realise that he cannot get up to 30 mph on the footpath but being safe is far better than shaving a few seconds off his time - if you disregard the time he spends arguing with fellow road users.

It might have been the first time he road on it and didn't know.

This might have been the only bad incident the cyclist had, or a small minority of incidents of which this was one, and the positives of cycling there outweigh the negatives.

He didn't whinge on here - someone else posted his vid. The cam cyclists took action and hasn't whinged. That action has resulted in the car driver receiving a caution.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
It might have been the first time he road on it and didn't know.
He didn't whinge on here - someone else posted his vid. The cam cyclists took action and hasn't whinged. That action has resulted in the car driver receiving a caution.
Forgive me for asking but is Engkish your mother tongue? Did I say that the cyclist whinged on here? NO! If you had bothered to read what I wrote and not read what you thought I wrote, you would have seen that the question was directed towards Mr Paul
"It might have been the first time he road [sic' on it and didn't know." Stop the video at 30 seconds - you may need an adult to help you with this. Now read the last sentence the one beginning "I know the cones..." So he knows that the cones are there so not the first time.

400bhp

Guru
Forgive me for asking but is Engkish your mother tongue? Did I say that the cyclist whinged on here? NO! If you had bothered to read what I wrote and not read what you thought I wrote, you would have seen that the question was directed towards Mr Paul
"It might have been the first time he road [sic' on it and didn't know." Stop the video at 30 seconds - you may need an adult to help you with this. Now read the last sentence the one beginning "I know the cones..." So he knows that the cones are there so not the first time.

I read your first sentence-that is all. On ignore from now on.

pplpilot

Guru
I hate all this urban warrior stuff. And Cyclists are the worst offenders. There are good drivers and bad drivers, there are good cyclists and bad cyclists, always has been and always will be. I'm a keen cyclist, I commute when the mood takes me, I cycle most weekends. I cant be bothered trying to change the attitude of road users, it a motorist want to be a Twat near me I pull over and let them on their way.

on the road

Über Member
I see no-one has commented on the start of the video. Subtitles say "...no room to overtake here..." So what does our intrepid hero try to do? Squeeze between the silver Ford and the cones! Runcorn Bridge is very bad at times - it was even worse in the old days when there were only three lanes.
The cyclist is local and knows there are roadworks so why not look at different routes? I am not talking about Runcorn, Frodsham, Helsby, Capenhurst, Birkenhead, Liverpool, Widnes or the shorter one via Warrington. Use the shared use footpath. Cross the bridge, stop at the first bus stop, cut throught to Irwell Street and then left onto Mersey Road.
What shared use footpath? There is no shared use footpath on the Runcorn Bridge, only a pedestrian footpath, some cyclists use it but it's not a cycle path or a shared use path. And Warrington is even more busy, I sometimes ride through Warrington and the traffic is very slow and bumper to bumper, and if he was travelling in the direction of Liverpool then going through Warrington would be a bit of a detour.

I often go over the Runcorn Bridge knowing that there are road works, I don't mind the road works, I just try to get over as quick as possible although I haven't had anyone threaten me like that, it is a rare event.

I used to ride the bridge regularly. It's never pleasant going over it, best approach is to reach mach1 and get it over with. I have sometimes used the footpath. You can feel the whole bridge shaking on that and it's not for the vertiginous.

ohnovino

Large Member
I've ridden with traffic on Runcorn Bridge a few times, and I won't be doing it again. I twice had cars pull alongside me in the next lane then just move across and shove me out the way, and I got some very close overtakes form HGVs. The approach roads aren't much fun either, especially if you're heading Runcorn-to-Widnes. So now if I go that way I'm a crazy rule breaker and ride on the footpath, along with perhaps 99% of the other cyclists who use the bridge.

BTW, my favourite place to cross the Mersey is cutting through a little business park by Warrington Bank Quay station - cars can't get through the bus gate so it's very quiet.

classic33

Leg End Member
To answer your first question with a question. Is English your first langauge?

Maybe its time you gave serious consideration to your failing second sight. The cones as you pointed out were there, what cannot be seen in the video is when they started. Where they end, you can see quite clearly. You wish to give directions as to what someone should do. "How could you or anyone else who has no knowledge of the area help me? You do not know the terrain, road surface and camber, traffic flow or density." give advice on a change of route without knowing what that change will involve. Other than it takes the cyclist out of the drivers way, in this case.

Were you by any chance the driver?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have snipped all but the one useful word of your post to answer your earlier question:
"The cyclist is local and knows there are roadworks so why not look at different routes?"

... choice ...

You prefer another route, he chose this one and can do so every day for all it's got to do with anyone else.

GC

davefb

Guru
whats a section 59..?

he's stopped on a no-stopping, in an amazingly dangerous position.. he's threatened someone ,driven dangerously by tailgaiting like that, driven dangerously by crossing across on the cyclist....

what do you have to do to get arrested?

I used to commute across that bridge... thats about the least traffic I've ever seen on it...

sabian92

Über Member
whats a section 59..?

he's stopped on a no-stopping, in an amazingly dangerous position.. he's threatened someone ,driven dangerously by tailgaiting like that, driven dangerously by crossing across on the cyclist....

what do you have to do to get arrested?

I used to commute across that bridge... thats about the least traffic I've ever seen on it...

I commute across it now but on the path. I've seen 3 people in my 20 years of living here ride over it on the road and all I can say it you're a lot braver than me! It's so dangerous - 2/3 of people I've seen have been touring (panniers etc) so they obviously weren't local, maybe doing a LEJOG or JOGLE and you can see the fear on their faces. The other guy was doing about 30 on a roadbike (all the gear, sky kit etc) so he wasn't too bad.

I only ride 3 1/2 miles each way but that bridge is by far the worst of it.

Top Bottom