Horses and flashing front lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would ask @oldstrath to consider the language, tone and attitudes in his/her post. They seem to me very similar to those found in the anti-cycling rants of certain newspapers and their readers. Prejudice breeds prejudice. Horse riders and cyclists need to be allies in the never-ending battle to convince drivers of powered transport that they do not have exclusive use of the roads - and the tracks, come to that.

oldstrath

Über Member
People often assume riders are 'arrogant' because they are quite literally looking down on people standing on the ground. And why is this person a 'twerp'? I suppose you might be trying to be funny, but asking someone to do a trivial thing like getting off their bike for a moment is nothing when compared with the fear and risk associated with being on board a bolting horse.

They are a twerp, which i accept is insulting, because they have taken a horse which apparently cannot cope with cyclists in close proximity onto a path where that specific event is almost certain to occur. They compound that by refusing to clear up the muck deposited in the middle of the narrow track.

As for all the "scared horse" stuff maybe you should remember some of us didn't grow up around horses and have never ridden them. To me a few hundred kilos of muscle equipped with steel shoes and a rider worried about controlling it is pretty bloody terrifying.

By the way i do get off in these circumstances, purely out of self preservation. And i usually end up clearing away the mess. I simply don't understand why horese owners don't have the same obligations as dog owners.

Last edited:

Ian193

Über Member
Riding a bridle path yesterday (in daylight) and came up behind a horse and rider. Started talking about 30m behind the horse and slowed right down. The rider moved left to let me pass. I said cheerfully, "I believe the best thing to do is to pass wide and slow and keep talking." "That is exactly right, thank you," she said. Everybody happy. Not difficult is it!

I did a similar thing on a quiet country lane earlier in the year called out morning as I approached to which she said “shoot you made me jump” which made us both laugh as I went past

oldstrath

Über Member
I would ask @oldstrath to consider the language, tone and attitudes in his/her post. They seem to me very similar to those found in the anti-cycling rants of certain newspapers and their readers. Prejudice breeds prejudice. Horse riders and cyclists need to be allies in the never-ending battle to convince drivers of powered transport that they do not have exclusive use of the roads - and the tracks, come to that.
I must admit that as someone who avoids horses as much as possible, and certainly has no clue how to ride one, the demand from some riders to "stop, you're frightening the horse" sounds much more like the attitude of car drivers than anything I might say.

I suppose it's true that, because I'm scared, I hadn't considered the possibility that they are so peremptory because of their equally real fear, but sim!ply interpreted it as an arrogant assumption of superiority. So I'll try harder to sympathise.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
The CC Monopoly Ride Contingent knew just how to deal with these Sabre rattling Horse Riders on Sunday ,
We stood back .....
and let em ' Pass !!

Top Bottom