Horses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Where I work there are a couple of stables nearby. It is not unusual to see a horse-rider or pony and trap on the roads during the morning or evening rush-hour. I am amazed at the patience and consideration shown by car drivers to these vulnerable road-users. There is no blasts of the horn, cutting in, nor obscene hand gestures!

So here's a thought - go horsey!

Wear a riding helmet, jodhpurs and knee-length boots. Use a crop to indicate and shout "tally-ho!" alot - just a thought :laugh:

Cking

I think that the difference is that a cyclist on the bonet dents the car. A horse on the bonet is a different matter!

Rgds Cking

gavintc

Guru
I think it is the fear factor with horses. Drivers perceive them a potential threat and will give them a wide berth. Cyclists on the other hand. Although, I know I complain about drivers, but in the main the vast majority of the drivers I encounter are understanding and give me room.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
nilling said:
Where I work there are a couple of stables nearby. It is not unusual to see a horse-rider or pony and trap on the roads during the morning or evening rush-hour. I am amazed at the patience and consideration shown by car drivers to these vulnerable road-users. There is no blasts of the horn, cutting in, nor obscene hand gestures!

So here's a thought - go horsey!

Wear a riding helmet, jodhpurs and knee-length boots. Use a crop to indicate and shout "tally-ho!" alot - just a thought :laugh:
As well as the size, its the unpredictability and general skittishness of horses that worries your driver (and your cyclist for that matter). Perhaps if we went around with crazy eyes, waving our arms and legs around at the slightest noise and foaming from the mouth then we'd get a little more consideration - seems to work for mr_hippo (cheap shot I know, but I couldn't resist).

snakehips

Bollo said:
As well as the size, its the unpredictability and general skittishness of horses that worries your driver (and your cyclist for that matter). Perhaps if we went around with crazy eyes, waving our arms and legs around at the slightest noise and foaming from the mouth then we'd get a little more consideration - seems to work for mr_hippo (cheap shot I know, but I couldn't resist).

Yep , it's fear , or lack of it , of the consequences that determines motorists' attitudes to other road users.

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

02GF74

Über Member
car drivers will slow down if a dog jumps in front of them but are quite happy to shove a cyclist into the curb with their wing mirrors or pull out . b**stards!!

ok, so it is just a minority but you never forget the tw*t that runs you over but you will all thos that don't, give you loads of room or slow down to let you pull out.

still b***stards.

Chrisz

Über Member
mr Mag00 said:
perhaps we should ride along shitting in the road too?

I tried that once - it wasn't very effective :blush:

(just to explain/clarify - I had been experimenting with bicarbonate of soda as a lactic acid buffer for 10 mile time trials - as well as bad wind it also gave me the screaming sh1ts:eek:. The only conclusion to my experiments was that diahorreah is faster than the speed of sound - before I could shout out I'd sh1t myself!!!):evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think there's a whole raft of reasons why drivers 'respect' horses - I say 'respect' because I reckon half the time it's self preservation rather than any respect for anyone else...

I wonder if part of it is location. Out on country roads, where you are more likely to encounter horses, maybe there's less 'gotta get on!' stress than in town. Also, horses are hugely more visible (I mean, like, loomingly big), and so are seen and NOTICED earlier giving the driver time to react properly, and get into the right frame of mind. I also wonder to what extent there's a tiny residual class issue - He is a horse rider, so I look up to him, but he is a cyclist so I look down on him.... Owning a horse is perceived by many as an elite thing, owning a bike just means you can't afford a car, innit?

I have cycled in riding kit, and it didn't make much difference, until I held my crop in my right hand sticking out. That worked nicely. I never had the chance to use it, but I suspect it would leave a very satisfying dent and certainly make a nice noise.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:
I wonder if part of it is location. Out on country roads, where you are more likely to encounter horses, maybe there's less 'gotta get on!' stress than in town.

Tru-dat. Most of my riding takes place on single-lane country roads and generally there's more give and take than in town, with many more drivers willing to show a bit of consideration. I think some of it is just the nature of the roads - you can't expect to make unimpeded progress and fudge everyone else. I do notice that when I'm on slightly wider lanes that allow two cars to pass each other, the level of consideration tends to drop rapidly.

Arch said:
Also, horses are hugely more visible (I mean, like, loomingly big), and so are seen and NOTICED earlier giving the driver time to react properly, and get into the right frame of mind. I also wonder to what extent there's a tiny residual class issue - He is a horse rider, so I look up to him, but he is a cyclist so I look down on him.... Owning a horse is perceived by many as an elite thing, owning a bike just means you can't afford a car, innit?
IMHO only one way - I don't think it plays a role with the horse riders, but cycling is still viewed by some as a poor person's transport.

Arch said:
I have cycled in riding kit, and it didn't make much difference, until I held my crop in my right hand sticking out. That worked nicely. I never had the chance to use it, but I suspect it would leave a very satisfying dent and certainly make a nice noise.

We demand pictures!:evil:;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
nilling said:
Wear a riding helmet, jodhpurs and knee-length boots. Use a crop to indicate and shout "tally-ho!" alot - just a thought :evil:

Hey - that's my standard bike commuting gear!

Also the mention of obscene hand gestures reminds me no-one was
better at them than a certain horseman himself - Mr Harvey Smith, remember him?

tyred

Legendary Member
Horses need to be approached with caution. Their actions, if they are scared cannot be predicted. Also, a car hitting a horse can kill the car driver at worst, or at least do serious damage, knocking a cyclist off is a minor inconvenience so I suppose self preservation is the reason.

Top Bottom