Horses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bollo said:
We demand pictures!:biggrin:;)

ooh, I'm not sure I have any.... Tell you what, if I remember this weekend, I'll set one up. Although I've not worn the jodhpurs for a while now, they may be a bit tight....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Arch said:
ooh, I'm not sure I have any.... Tell you what, if I remember this weekend, I'll set one up. Although I've not worn the jodhpurs for a while now, they may be a bit tight....

Have they shrunk in the wash?!!!

jimboalee

Chrisz said:
I tried that once - it wasn't very effective :smile:

It might have been YOU on that photo :biggrin:

In order of priority from high to low - " ", Pedestrians, Equestrians, everyone else.

Therefore, the motorists are obeying the rules of the road.

bonj2

I always give horses a wide berth and show them due consideration but imho they shouldn't be on the road, they are too unpredictable and temperamental to be trusted on the road. I once had to turn back after going down a quiet road in lincoln because there was a horse having a strop in the middle of the road about 100 yds ahead, with its rider struggling to control it and it rearing its front legs up. That's not something that's suitable for being on the public highway i'm afraid.

tyred

Legendary Member
bonj said:
I always give horses a wide berth and show them due consideration but imho they shouldn't be on the road, they are too unpredictable and temperamental to be trusted on the road. I once had to turn back after going down a quiet road in lincoln because there was a horse having a strop in the middle of the road about 100 yds ahead, with its rider struggling to control it and it rearing its front legs up. That's not something that's suitable for being on the public highway i'm afraid.

There were horses on the public road before there were bikes, cars, lorries or anything else. Most of the road network was built with them in mind. Therefore, I think they have a right to be there. Even if they do annoy me!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Arch said:
I have cycled in riding kit, and it didn't make much difference, until I held my crop in my right hand sticking out. That worked nicely. I never had the chance to use it, but I suspect it would leave a very satisfying dent and certainly make a nice noise.

Interesting. The walk to my allotment takes me along a mile or so of the kind of road on which almost everyone drives like a bastard, missing my elbow by 3 inches at 60mph and suchlike (the limits are 30 and 20). I find this doesn't happen when I carry a large pair of shears, tip pointing into the road. Miraculously they give me much more room, and even slow down if there is oncoming traffic. I'm thinking of strapping shears to my bike in a similar position...

bonj2

tyred said:
There were horses on the public road before there were bikes, cars, lorries or anything else. Most of the road network was built with them in mind. Therefore, I think they have a right to be there. Even if they do annoy me!

no it wasnt'. Most of the road network is tarmac, and that is not ideal for horses hooves. Neither was it paid for by horse riders.
If horse riders had a say in what the road network was built out of (just say, if they'd contributed to it, which they haven't) then they wouldn't choose tarmac.

bonj said:
no it wasnt'. Most of the road network is tarmac, and that is not ideal for horses hooves. Neither was it paid for by horse riders.
If horse riders had a say in what the road network was built out of (just say, if they'd contributed to it, which they haven't) then they wouldn't choose tarmac.
Doesn't that kind of assume that horse riders don't pay any taxes?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

Yes they have contributed to it, in their taxes, along with everyone else.

And yes, most of the road network was built for horses, or pedestrians. it may have since been resurfaced, but it was there long before tarmac was invented and laid over the top.

Arch

Married to Night Train
theclaud said:
Interesting. The walk to my allotment takes me along a mile or so of the kind of road on which almost everyone drives like a bastard, missing my elbow by 3 inches at 60mph and suchlike (the limits are 30 and 20). I find this doesn't happen when I carry a large pair of shears, tip pointing into the road. Miraculously they give me much more room, and even slow down if there is oncoming traffic. I'm thinking of strapping shears to my bike in a similar position...

Even better, strap a fork or rake across your rack...

tyred

Legendary Member
What I mean is that if you ignore modern motorways and the like, the vast majority of roads were built and laid out at time when horses and pedestrians were the only traffic. They may have been resurfaced with tarmac, but that's neither here nor there.

Stage coach operators in most cases had to pay money to the local turn pike trusts who maintained the roads in the old days, so yes, they did pay for it. And car drives don't pay for the road nowadays anyway.

trsleigh

bonj said:

Hear, hear
I always give pushbikes a wide berth and show them due consideration but imho they shouldn't be on the road, they are too unpredictable and temperamental to be trusted on the road. I once had to turn back after going down a quiet road in lincoln because there was a bicyclist having a strop in the middle of the road about 100 yds ahead, with its rider struggling to control it and it weaving all over the place. That's not something that's suitable for being on the public highway i'm afraid.
Regards
Daily Mail reader.

jimboalee

bonj said:

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Top Bottom