Hot weather & feeling bad on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Had this feeling the last couple of weeks, as if my legs were made of wood, for want of a better description,
no real get up & go, it seems a real chore cycling, this is on a morning when it's cooler but also at spin last week.
However on Strava my times are there or thereabouts, any one else feel like this?, I'm just wondering if it's a cumulative effect of this hot spell, being a little dehydrated, or tired as I don't seem to sleep the same.
is it just me?

Slick

Guru
Could just be dehydration depending on what you have done and how you have done it. I have felt like that in the past, but it's usually winter that does me in eventually.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
I have a gut feeling I'm not drinking enough , particularly at work, I think I'll take a bidon with me & fill it through the day, as it gets used up see if there is a difference next week.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
yes, it was baking hot today Vickster, plus a strong breeze that I seemed to be fighting all way round, but not a strong wind, just enough to be a nuisance.

Alan O

Über Member
I have a gut feeling I'm not drinking enough , particularly at work, I think I'll take a bidon with me & fill it through the day, as it gets used up see if there is a difference next week.
Yes, I've been making a conscious effort to drink more than I really want, right through this hot weather - and I've pretty much been fine so far.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm just wondering if it's a cumulative effect of this hot spell, being a little dehydrated, or tired as I don't seem to sleep the same.
is it just me?

You're probably right, a combination of the above.
I never sleep as well when it's hot like this and it's ridiculously easy to get dehydrated in the heat.

I normally take 2x 800ml bottles out on a ride with a water / electrolyte mix in and often won't even start the second one - the last few weeks I've been emptying them both before the end of the ride.

I've been making an effort to have longer stops and take on more liquid in this heat. Think it's working but I always end up dehydrated!

Tin Pot

Guru
Had this feeling the last couple of weeks, as if my legs were made of wood, for want of a better description,
no real get up & go, it seems a real chore cycling, this is on a morning when it's cooler but also at spin last week.
However on Strava my times are there or thereabouts, any one else feel like this?, I'm just wondering if it's a cumulative effect of this hot spell, being a little dehydrated, or tired as I don't seem to sleep the same.
is it just me?
No it’s not just you.

Overexertion in the conditions, lack of recovery/sleep.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
That’s what I thought, I took 2x 550 ml bottles out today with electrolyte tabs in them, the first one was 2/3rd’s empty about 8 miles in, I took a 750 ml bottle to spin on Thursday and drank that in 40 minutes, I will take one to work & see if I feel better this coming week

Tin Pot

Guru
That’s what I thought, I took 2x 550 ml bottles out today with electrolyte tabs in them, the first one was 2/3rd’s empty about 8 miles in, I took a 750 ml bottle to spin on Thursday and drank that in 40 minutes, I will take one to work & see if I feel better this coming week

Electrolytes may or may not help with dehydration - the science is a work in progress - but they won’t replace carbs which you’ll still need if you’re working hard.

Riding easier than normal will be the most effective remedy imho, dress for the weather and with darker than usual sunglasses.

rugby bloke

Veteran
i went out on the May Day Bank Holiday Monday when it was roasting hot - ended up dehydrated through being an idiot and not looking after myself. I've learnt my lesson, drink a lot more on a ride, take it easy and find shade when I stop for a break.

Top Bottom