Hot weather & feeling bad on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dehydration is a real issue; my buddy went out for a long hard ride and weighed himself before and after and despite drinking lots, had lost 1500 gms of weight on his return. I went out for 45 minutes without a water bottle, weighed before and after and had lost 300 gms on my return.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think i might have dehydrated a bit yesterday. I set off thinking it'd be cooler as the weather forecast suggested it would be,only to find it was just as stifling as it's been of late. I wore a full zipped jersey opened up to try and get some air flowing but it didn't help much. I managed 30 miles of the usual hills and odd flat bits. This very warm air we're breathing in is just as bad as the cold air in winter. I'm a devil for not drinking from my bottle as i never feel thirsty. Even when i'd got back i just had my usual cup of tea and that was it. I didn't eat much either. About 9.30pm i started shaking and sweating. So much so that i had to have another shower. I was alright after a while but i'm putting it down to lack of fluids and lack of carbohydrates. It's a lot cooler today,but i won't be riding as it's actually raining for a change,though if it fines up i might go out for a ride later in the day.

Last edited:

mgs315

Chalk me up for another person struggling with hydration. I usually do 2x 600mls on a ride and come back with a smidge left in one but yesterday I did another full 600 refill (yay for drinking water taps at random farm shops) and still found myself about 3-4lbs down when I got home. Downed another couple of pints of water before heading to the pub for the footie and felt a bit hazy when I got home.

Uphill times are marginally quicker but I’d have expected to have seen more improvement in the two or so months between some of them.

Peak HR is actually a bit lower by 4-5bpm mind. I think I just can’t push myself that bit harder in this weather.

Top Bottom