Hotel Pillows (in German)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
How do I ask a hotel in Austria to put pillows in my room next week that do not have feathers in them. I have tried in the past asking for "pillows without feathers", synthetic pillows, etc. Is it non-allergenic, or non-allergy. My spoken German is OK, but does not stretch to the details of the contents of pillows.

Any help would be appreciated. (It does not matter about feathers in the quilt, I can cope with that.)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
synthetisches pilow, keine Federn

(according to the mac's translator, synthetic pillow, no feathers)

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Noodley said:
Alternatively:

I DOOOOOOO NOT WAAANT FEATHEEEERS IN MY PILLOOOOW!

You are almost right - you have to add an 'O' onto every word and speak more slowly (or is that only for Spanish?).

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
alecstilleyedye said:
synthetisches pilow, keine Federn

(according to the mac's translator, synthetic pillow, no feathers)

I have taken the precaution of looking this up in my German dictionary.
Synthetisches seems OK, but pilow does not exist in German, I know that should be Kopfkissen. Bearing in mind this request will be by phone, it is difficult to make sure you dont say something that sounds like Pferde (horses). Which I where I think I may have gone wrong before.:smile:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thanky Punkypossum for your reply. I have now contacted the hotel and they knew what I was talking about.:blush:

Sheddy, I find that instead of a travel pillow, the alternative that works for me is to wrap the feather pillow in one of the bathroom towels, and then put it back in the pillowcase. This provides a thick barrier between my nose and the feathers. Taking a travel pillow means that there is one more thing that I could leave behind in a foreign hotel. :blush:

Johnny Thin

So what you're effectively after is a vegan pillow?

Not surprisingly, German doesn't have an adjective for vegan, only noun (der Veganer) What's suggested for the adj is "jemand, der keine Tierprodukte verwendet".

So what you need to ask for is "Ein Kopfkissen fuer jemanden, der keine Tierprodukte verwendet, ohne Inhalt von Gans- oder Entefeder, bitte. Und auch keine Sahne mit dem Kaffee"

Mind you, if you're not careful you might find the pillow's been filled with the pubic hair of long-deceased Jewry ...

Top Bottom