Hour and half ride snacks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I agree that you don't need a snack mid-ride. I do always carry an emergency cereal bar or similar that comes back uneaten nine rides out of ten. You never know when you might 'bonk' ('hit the wall') or come across another cyclist who is hypoglycaemic.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will echo whats said above i used to hammer up hills and run out of steam at the top, on club runs this gave others a wheel to follow and scalp me at the top

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Thanks all!

Decided to go a different route this time (reduced hills!) and felt all the better for it. Probably slightly dehydrated to start with but after a pitstop I was ready to go. Only managed 15km (really need to get around to switching my Strava settings!) but it was probably the best ride I've had in a while - the scenery helped!

Could have done without the 20mph winds in my face nearly all the way and the 10-man cycling group sailing past me was a bit demoralising (😂) but it felt really, really good to go on the flat for once.

CXRAndy

Guru
Everyone is different, but there are some basics. A litre an hour of water if doing intense riding, around 50g of carbs per hour (whether in liquid or solids). If you stay clear of sugary fast carbs and learn to fuel with starchy carbs, your body will adapt to burn more fats when doing endurance rides. Its easier on the gut/digest too.

Im just getting back into riding, got my self an ebike. I rode 2hr15 today. Nothing (liquid or fuel) for the first hour knowing the outleg was going to be easy with assistance and huge tailwind. I had a pot of tea and a egg mayo sandwich at my mid way destination. Return leg was into a 20-35mph headwind, even with assistance, was quite a slog.

Mike_P

Guru
A larger low gear can help, I'm not quick but going up Pateley Bridge High Street the other week I caught and eventually overlook a group of cyclists who I presume where on 28 or 30 lowest gears while I spun pass everyone on a 34

I recently did 2 approx 25 mile rides ea. taking approx. 2 hrs. On ea. occasion I had a modest meal within approx. 1 hr before departing & not immediately before. this seemed adequately sufficient w/o any snack along the ride. 1st ride used 1 large bike bottle of water, the 2nd ride in direct sun used just under 2 bottles of water

on other longer rides I will bring a snack such as a granola bar & small box of raisins. I have carried bananas but they don't travel well, for me
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.05.10 AM.png

on even longer rides (~34 miles), at the 1/2 way turnaround I've stopped in a convenience store for any variety of snacks, such cookies, chocolate milk & nuts. I don't recall if that kind of ride coincided w/ any meals. but I never ride hungry
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 8.59.39 AM.png

on epic all-day rides I've carried 2 PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters, carried in a mountain feed bag for consumption during the ride
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.08.05 AM.png

Last edited:

battered

Guru
I recently did 2 approx 25 mile rides ea. taking approx. 2 hrs. On ea. occasion I had a modest meal within approx. 1 hr before departing & not immediately before. this seemed adequately sufficient w/o any snack along the ride. 1st ride used 1 large bike bottle of water, the 2nd ride in direct sun used just under 2 bottles of water

on other longer rides I will bring a snack such as a granola bar & small box of raisins. I have carried bananas but they don't travel well, for me
View attachment 601722

on even longer rides (~34 miles), at the 1/2 way turnaround I've stopped in a convenience store for any variety of snacks, such cookies, chocolate milk & nuts. I don't recall if that kind of ride coincided w/ any meals. but I never ride hungry
View attachment 601721

on epic all-day rides I've carried 2 PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters, carried in a mountain feed bag for consumption during the ride
View attachment 601723
That's all sound enough. The thing is that for those of us who aren't top class athletes a ride lasting 90 minutes doesn't need to be fuelled by specific gels or potions. You aren't wringing the last 1% of performance out of your finely honed body. A PB sandwich is great, if that's what you like. I don't, I choose soft cheese with salami, or with chunks of celery, peppers, anything you like. If you like gels, great, but they won't turn you into a storming athlete any more than will an egg butty.

byegad

Legendary Member
Some caviar and unsalted crackers, cucumber sandwiches with the crusts removed, a small bottle of '68 Moet et Chandon. That does me for short jaunts up to 2 hours.
:stop: 68? The 72 is far better suited for a short 90 minutes, I'd sack my ler for that kind of faux pas!

Top Bottom