Hour and half ride snacks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Agreed, for all that's been said (including by myself) It takes no time nor space to stick a munchy bar in a pocket, just in case. We carry spare tubes/repair kits with exactly the same rationale; probably no need but invaluable if you do need.

Sharky

Guru
the 'race' bike has one bottle holder
Lucky you. My "race" bike is a track/fixed bike and doesn't have any bottle holders. :sad:
Good job I only ride 10's occasionally now, although have done a few 25's on it. I just have a good swig before the start.

Mike_P

Guru
A ride of up to an hour and half I will just take a 750ml bottle of water and a flapjack/nut bar which usually stays unused. Longer rides I will take also a 750ml electrolyte bottle and enough snacks for one an hour approx as most rides end with a fair amount of climbing, really should not have bought a house close to the top of a hill. Also the c.hourly snack convenienly ties into changing the battery in the sportscam I use and the SD card, if it's on its best resolution, every other snack. It's rare on the two bottles to have an empty water bottle at the end of the ride.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
One electrolyte tablet and a couple of cereal bars would do me for that sort of distance. I am generally a regular grazer rather than a main meal type person and I tend to get peckish after 15 miles then feel much better after a little snack.

Don't let others tell you what your body does or does not need. Nobody is better placed to make that decision than you. So if you feel a little hungry then there is nothing wrong with having a little bite to eat even on short rides. Just because other people feel fine without sustance for x length of ride, does not mean this is applicable to all.

Last edited:

Onthedrops

Veteran
Basically 1.5 litres of water over 2 hours.

Depending on the intensity of the ride and temperature, for me, the only thing I'd be doing half way round would be stopping for a slash!!!
20 -25kms. It'd be a 1 bottle ride for me, even during the recent hot spell. :sun:

What I need (nothing) and what I have on a ride like that has more to do with what's available and fancy than making sure I have what I need (nothing). I use cycling as an excuse to eat (often badly) so basically you could do as I do and eat what you fancy, though on a little ride you won't actually need it, unless you've missed a meal.
On a decent long ride I eat every 2 hrs (so every 25 miles basically) but that means the implied 50 mile minimum, I might have a mid ride drink on a 40 though to be honest I can get round a 40m without needing anything, I do carry a bottle of juice but rarely touch it except in very warm weather. I've tried the hydrating bit and spend to much time in the bushes...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
today was a 45 mile ride , drank half a bidon and a small coffee and small slice of cake but this was a pootle ride , it was a lot cooler though compared to last week where i got through 2 bidons and a coffee and was still gasping

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lucky you. My "race" bike is a track/fixed bike and doesn't have any bottle holders. :sad:
Good job I only ride 10's occasionally now, although have done a few 25's on it. I just have a good swig before the start.

It was hard for 50's on one bottle (road bike). I should have specced two sets of bosses, but given how much I drink these days, to being a young lad. Go through loads on the MTB ! I can't 'eat' much riding hard.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

How do you all normally take hills? Obviously it depends on the hill but I always seem to run out of puff halfway up the biggest hills (comparitively) and am forced to a stop, usually after thudding over a couple of dropped water drains. And that's after getting down to the lower gears...

Is it the case that you build yourself up on the flat and then train on gradual hills or do you just go for it?

I think part of my mistake is that the biggest hills are usually after I've done most of my route - I don't tend to plan them out, just go for a wander and see what takes my fancy.

boydj

Legendary Member
You need to pace yourself on hills, particularly the long drags. Get into a manageable gear early on and settle into a sustainable rhythm. If you need to eat or drink, do it before you hit the hill.

Mike_P

Guru
Obviously depends on the hill, the nice constant gradients found on many grand tour routes are pretty rare IME and the general advice to stick in a gear can lead to excessive spinning or struggling. So make sure your rear mech is in good order and change gear if necessary, obviously only on the rear. Consider a rear cassette on with a larger low gear.

Just take your time, aim to get to the top without stopping and then just aim to get up quicker and quicker if that's your thing but it will take time. I'm a really dreadful climber but the hills here give me no choice to improve, i'm probably now only a mildly dreadful climber (who wants to get better):laugh:.

There's loads of techniques, steady gear vs changing up/down, in vs out of saddle etc etc and it's really horses for courses and certainly the type of climb has an effect.

Top Bottom