House build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I was admiring the timbers. It makes me weep when I see the matchsticks used to make roof trusses in the UK. Pitiful really.
I know exactly what you mean - just 200m away there’s 2 x new houses going up with toothpick roofs, being built by a developer with profit in mind rather than any thought to quality. The first storms will be interesting for the poor buyers if the roofs are as strong as they (don’t) look. Saddens me too that they’re allowed to build like that :rolleyes:.

Slick

Guru
I was admiring the timbers. It makes me weep when I see the matchsticks used to make roof trusses in the UK. Pitiful really.
Or very well designed for their intended use. :okay:

I do agree that the trusses here are formed using heavier timber than most of the tiny roofs that are required for a lot of the low cost housing market we see in much of the UK, but I'm not entirely convinced it will be any stronger than the average engineered roof I would see in the west coast of Scotland, or even in the Highlands. The gable ladders for example look to me to be quite light compared with what we would expect to see here.

Apologies if my comments are detracting anything from an interesting thread. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Given that a loft is very useful for storage or conversion, the builders/developers are doing you no favours at all by filling the space with truss timbers that can't be modified easily.
Attic trusses. :okay:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

We have some roof atop the walls … we’re waiting for the tiles to go on now and the rainwater gutters, down pipes and so on. Chimney is almost finished - just waiting for the silicon structured top-coat to be applied prior to tiling the roof so that the tiles and flashing stays clean. As you’ll see - it’s already started snowing so we really need to get this finished before we have another ‘dusting’ :laugh:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We have some roof atop the walls … we’re waiting for the tiles to go on now and the rainwater gutters, down pipes and so on. Chimney is almost finished - just waiting for the silicon structured top-coat to be applied prior to tiling so that the tiles and flashing stays clean. As you’ll see - it’s already started snowing so we really need to get this finished before we have another ‘dusting’ :laugh:
View attachment 622078

View attachment 622079
is it being rendered like the rest??

Slick

Guru
We have some roof atop the walls … we’re waiting for the tiles to go on now and the rainwater gutters, down pipes and so on. Chimney is almost finished - just waiting for the silicon structured top-coat to be applied prior to tiling the roof so that the tiles and flashing stays clean. As you’ll see - it’s already started snowing so we really need to get this finished before we have another ‘dusting’ :laugh:
View attachment 622078

View attachment 622079
No lead in the valley?

I suppose I really should mention elf and safety. :laugh:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

No lead in the valley?

I suppose I really should mention elf and safety. :laugh:
No lead, but there is a coated alloy channel being fitted that does the same job.
The builders, roofers etc … could all do with a better understanding of H & S but I’m banging my head against the wall suggesting so …. this the way they work here - unfortunately :rolleyes:

Top Bottom