House build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Having bought a house with a building plot conveniently next door, we’ve had architects draw plans and started the build this week.
We built a new house a few years ago and it was nothing but hassle, we swore then that we’d never be so foolish again … so here we are being equally as foolish once again.
I’ll post pics as the build progresses … you’ll note my location is Slovakia so the methods and sequence of the build may be a little different to that in U.K. and elsewhere … it might interest someone … it might not
The builders have levelled the house footprint and dug the footings this week, added steel (after a passing Geologist suggested so to ensure there were no subsidence issues further down the road - there was a thin layer maybe 20cm deep of Sandy loam about a metre down), suitable access tubes for water, waste and electric and finally poured 4 mixers worth (36m3) of concrete … there’s no going back now

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Having bought a house with a building plot conveniently next door, we’ve had architects draw plans and started the build this week.
We built a new house a few years ago and it was nothing but hassle, we swore then that we’d never be so foolish again … so here we are being equally as foolish once again.
I’ll post pics as the build progresses … you’ll note my location is Slovakia so the methods and sequence of the build may be a little different to that in U.K. and elsewhere … it might interest someone … it might not
The builders have levelled the house footprint and dug the footings this week, added steel (after a passing Geologist suggested so to ensure there were no subsidence issues further down the road - there was a thin layer maybe 20cm deep of Sandy loam about a metre down), suitable access tubes for water, waste and electric and finally poured 4 mixers worth (36m3) of concrete … there’s no going back now

View attachment 602737

View attachment 602738

View attachment 602739

View attachment 602740

View attachment 602741
are you going to live in the other house while this one is being built or do you need to sell to build???

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

We were away for a couple of days, but in our absence the builders have moved up one small level, a ring of steel reinforced concrete blocks have been laid and filled with concrete followed by a 20cm thick layer of ballast/hardcore which is ‘wackered’ down ready for shuttering to contain a further layer of 20cm thick concrete reinforced with 8mm grid steel .. the photos will make more sense than my writing I hope !

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

The edges are shuttered now, steel grid is in and wired together … hopefully concrete mixer trucks arriving in the morning with around 20m3 of strong mix … that’ll be the slab ready for walls to start in a week or so - the concrete needs to go ‘off’ a little first …

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They don't hang about but the weather looks perfect!

Nice to see a decent overhanging verge and eaves to protect the walls and window heads... did you not want to incorporate solar hot water panels and PV during the build- [or you could incorporate first fix for it to add later- if you are using a hot water cylinder make sure it has a dual coil for the solar hot water feed].]

Looks fantastic and very tidy which is always the sign of a good builder.

I'm jealous!

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

They don't hang about but the weather looks perfect!

Nice to see a decent overhanging verge and eaves to protect the walls and window heads... did you not want to incorporate solar hot water panels and PV during the build- [or you could incorporate first fix for it to add later- if you are using a hot water cylinder make sure it has a dual coil for the solar hot water feed].]

Looks fantastic and very tidy which is always the sign of a good builder.

I'm jealous!
Wow - praise indeed from someone who knows his onions - thank you !
We’re not planning any solar panels I’m ashamed to say, just the usual gas, electric, water and waste. This is Eastern Europe and Solar’s not big here yet.
We’re lucky with our builder, he came recommended by the Architect and the ‘Clerk of the Works’ is the Archtects husband … not the cheapest trio but we’ve worked with them before and nothing’s too much trouble - convenience and peace of mind are expensive commodities :rolleyes:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We’re not planning any solar panels I’m ashamed to say, just the usual gas, electric, water and waste. This is Eastern Europe and Solar’s not big here yet.
We’re lucky with our builder, he came recommended by the Architect and the ‘Clerk of the Works’ is the Archtects husband … not the cheapest trio but we’ve worked with them before and nothing’s too much trouble - convenience and peace of mind are expensive commodities :rolleyes:
you could have set a standard by fitting it though or is it just not available??

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You can future proof the roof and services by doing the first fix electrics and running flow and return pipes and a spur in the loft to connect to later... be worth it. There are some fantastic solar companies manufacturing in Eastern Europe so they will already make all the tech stuff locally and it'll be a fraction of the cost of doing it here- they probably just export all the kit they make to Germany and France [it would've come here once!]

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

You can future proof the roof and services by doing the first fix electrics and running flow and return pipes and a spur in the loft to connect to later... be worth it. There are some fantastic solar companies manufacturing in Eastern Europe so they will already make all the tech stuff locally and it'll be a fraction of the cost of doing it here- they probably just export all the kit they make to Germany and France [it would've come here once!]
I like the idea of a provisional first fix …. I’ll chat to our Architect about it and take her advice - :okay:

Top Bottom