House build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Are you in an earthquake zone?
Funnily enough I wondered the same …. and I live here !.
There’s over 1.6km of 10mm and 12mm steel to be incorporated and nearly 800m of 14mm and 16mm steel to go in too. I’m unsure why it has to be so substantially built - the statistician’s calculations for the steel and concrete represents about 25% of the build documentation. Another odd thing here is that the horizontal components are separated from the the vertical at every stage of the process. Priced separately (with the horizontal much more costly than the vertical), different personnel on site … all change :wacko:. Once this part is complete the original team return and continue to roof level … I did say things were done differently here :laugh:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

The shuttering’s finished … there’s a lot of steelwork to go on above the shuttering before the concrete can be poured - I’m only now appreciating just how much work there is in this horizontal element - bonkers :wacko:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Crikey, that is pretty involved - I wouldn't like to try DIY'ing that :laugh: Presumably the house could double as a nuclear fall-out shelter once complete though :okay::laugh: I'm pretty excited to see the concrete poured for the first floor :becool:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Crikey, that is pretty involved - I wouldn't like to try DIY'ing that :laugh: Presumably the house could double as a nuclear fall-out shelter once complete though :okay::laugh: I'm pretty excited to see the concrete poured for the first floor :becool:
This is way past DIY …. there’s been 6 or 7 men up there working all week so far and I assume next week too … I’m sure technically you could manage, but at a few hours here and there it would take forever …. like some of my DIY projects :whistle:. Excited and nervous about the concrete pouring … there’ll be just over 40m3 going up there sometime next week I hope … more pics of that, as and when.

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

There’s more and more steel going up there, we were hoping to be pouring concrete tomorrow but there’s still over 150 pieces of steel to layup, so concrete’s postponed until Monday if they can get the steels completed … this part has been a crazy amount of work and materials !.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm coming to the end of my house build, just kitchen to fit now, and hope it passes final inspection by building control.

We are buying up a do it upper property next.

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

I'm coming to the end of my house build, just kitchen to fit now, and hope it passes final inspection by building control.

We are buying up a do it upper property next.
Good luck with your final inspection … any pics ?
I don’t know if you feel the same, but building a new house from scratch is easier in a lot of ways than renovating on old one - having done both I prefer the new build …

CXRAndy

Guru
Good luck with your final inspection … any pics ?
I don’t know if you feel the same, but building a new house from scratch is easier in a lot of ways than renovating on old one - having done both I prefer the new build …
I'll get some pics in a bit. I've done two newbuilds and several renovation and extension projects. Yes, I agree to a degree that newbuild is easier but comes with regulatory headaches and design issues which only pop up when construction is underway. A small but irritating issue, was we had Pozi joists for the first floor. They were fitted by the joiner per design spec. But he forgot to take into consideration that radiator pipes needed to come out of the floor where some of the joists were positioned. You're not allowed to drill or cut these joists at all. It required channelling the wall and some weird copper bends to get to radiators-small niggles but annoying. Thankfully having spent hours measuring and remeasuring the stud walling, most of the final fix went pretty much OK

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

I thought I’d stick this pic in - it shows our ‘Clerk of Works’ climbing the ladder to inspect the steels …. nothing too ‘out of the ordinary‘ there I hear you say … but he’s 82 years old !. We were very lucky that he took our project on because he only does a couple of builds every year - he’s a real character and know’s everyone in the building game for miles around …. he’s married to our architect who still practices with her architect daughter - a real family affair !

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I thought I’d stick this pic in - it shows our ‘Clerk of Works’ climbing the ladder to inspect the steels …. nothing too ‘out of the ordinary‘ there I hear you say … but he’s 82 years old !. We were very lucky that he took our project on because he only does a couple of builds every year - he’s a real character and know’s everyone in the building game for miles around …. he’s married to our architect who still practices with her architect daughter - a real family affair !
View attachment 611480
dear me - that ladder would be sending H&S executives into a frenzy in this country lol

Top Bottom