House names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I think it was on here that I read of someone in the midlands who named his house "Seaview".

After passing a not particularly huge mid terraced house yesterday called "Manor House" it got me thinking about daft names for houses.

I used to live near a big detached house called "Harridans" which sounds like a retirement home for grumpy old women.

Any from round your way?

Blackandblue

The Palace of the Bitches. It's painted on a very trad looking oval plate with trad floral decoration. You only notice what it actually says after the third or fourth look.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The houses on my road all had names when they were built in 1873. I have resurected the one for mine.
I also carved the name plate for a late friend's house when his family named it after him as he had practically rebuilt it, twice, himself.
My late brother had a housing estate and road named after him following his death.

red_tom

There was a house in the village where I grew up called Lautrec because it had two loos.

jack the lad

Went for a walk yesterday that took us down a rather posh leafy lane.

All the houses had the usual twee names (Willow House, Mountain Spring Cottage, Honeysuckle Bungalow(!), White Horse View etc.) displayed on completely over the top wrought iron signs.

The best one was the second one from the end of the street, with the most elaborate sign of all. It said - "FOUR".

Made me laugh anyway!

gbb

Legendary Member
A house in Bingham (Notts) used to have a plaque at the entrance to its drive reading...
'Forassestoparkinfrontof'

Took me a while to work that one out :tongue::biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I didn't know our house had a name when we moved in 5 yrs ago... I found it in the cupboard under the stairs. It's called Aaron House :tongue: I like to think it's because Elvis once lived here, but that's probably not true :biggrin: We don't use the name ourselves.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you didn't know your house had a name it probably doesn't coz you actually have to register names with the land registry. if it's not on the deeds its not officially called anything. probably "Aaron House" was just what the owners wanted to call it, but had to take the sign down when they left coz it wasn't official.

Top Bottom