house prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
We have always got the full asking price, but I only sell in top condition and a bit more. Can you not tidy it up a bit?
We did have it cleared and cleaned but then we let my son move in:ohmy:
It needs reglazing and plastering, hence the £15000 drop in price.

stephec

Legendary Member
Very much depends on where you are/state of the local market.

London Flats/apartments normally seem to go for more than the asking price.
My daughter was lucky, her accepted offer was only 4% over asking - there was a "big number threshold" a little higher that put a downward pressure on the offers. A year later similar flats are 15% up on what she paid
Crazy. Crazy Crazy. But that is the market.

But as others have said, best to put on at full price and accept offers - also, i would use an agent.

Do you mean that someone will look at the price you're asking and then offer you more?

screenman

Legendary Member
Even if it needs those make it as clean and tidy as you possible can. Make your son go back and clean it himself. What is the price of the flat? or what percentage of the normal price of one in that area are you giving away.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you mean that someone will look at the price you're asking and then offer you more?

I has happened to us, because it was a small village and one we intended to carry on living in week turned the higher offer down. It was a local family meeting our original asking price, and if we gazumped them it would not have made things so comfortable for us.

stephec

Legendary Member
I has happened to us, because it was a small village and one we intended to carry on living in week turned the higher offer down. It was a local family meeting our original asking price, and if we gazumped them it would not have made things so comfortable for us.

I suppose it makes sense in the situation where you have more than one person interested.

And make sure that when you are selling a house, the agents fee is a percentage of the selling price, not a fixed percentage of the original asking price. Got stung by CONnels of Luton on that one back in the day.

midlife

Guru
150 grand for an apartment, that's a lot for Cumbria ! House prices around me just north of Penrith are stagnant. Our house has lost about 30 grand in the last 4 years, maybe the asking price is a tad high?

Shaun

Brains

Legendary Member
When i buy, I mentally work out the cost of doing it up, double it and then would be my highest offer so I'll offer substantially below that.

You say it needs re-glazing, at a £ grand a hole, even a two up/two down may not leave a lot of change from £10K, add in the plastering (and therefore the redecorating and the re-carpeting etc) without knowing what was involved I think your £15k off may not be close to enough

Sara_H

Guru
I once offered over the asking pricing, I like to be different.
I think I did actually do that when I bought my house. I was tricked by the estate agent who told me that there'd been an offer over the asking price, but omitted to tell me that the off had subsequently been withdrawn. So I put an offer in above the offer that I thought was still in the table! Doh!

PK99

Legendary Member

Yep, that is the way the London market works...... the shortage of properties esp 1/2 bedders is such that a mini auction starts on every one.
The one D1 bought, was viewing on Saturday.
Offers closed monday lunchtime with at least half a dozen at asking price.
Best and final offers by tuesday lunchtime
Purchase confirmed Wednesday lunchtime.

Checking on Nethouseprices post purchase confirmed we were at the going rate, nothing similar has sold for less since.

Top Bottom