House repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Is anyone else finding it difficult to get any repairs done? I have been trying to get someone to fix some slates. I got a roofer out a couple of weeks. He said the problem was the building merchants were all closed. He said he'd pencil me in for last week, but I did not hear anything back.

classic33

Leg End Member
Travis Perkins and Jewsons closed their yards, but are opening some to larger customers.

Marshall's, a local company, did the same.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is anyone else finding it difficult to get any repairs done? I have been trying to get someone to fix some slates. I got a roofer out a couple of weeks. He said the problem was the building merchants were all closed. He said he'd pencil me in for last week, but I did not hear anything back.
I hate to break it to you...…..but yes, builders are flakey. All the time, every time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Our carpet bloke says he's got dozens of customers clamouring for him to fit new carpets and all he can do is add them to the list.

screenman

Legendary Member
Builders merchant shut around here, as for roofers, from experience I would say they are certainly the least reliable trade in the building industry around these parts.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was up on my roof three days ago looking at the bodged mess left by a roofer who fitted a new Velux. We had driven rain coming in during the January gales and we got him back but the bodge is still just as bad. I spotted a broken tile so all i could do was mix up a big blob of Araldite and glue the two bits together. The house is on the market and will most likely be sold to someone who doesn't generally take pride in maintaining their property so I hope the Gods of DIY won't judge me too harshly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Other than builder's merchants being closed this is par for the course. Just a handy excuse.

Watch out for the trick of massively overpricing jobs the tradesman doesn't want but will do if the price is high enough.

screenman

Legendary Member
Other than builder's merchants being closed this is par for the course. Just a handy excuse.

Watch out for the trick of massively overpricing jobs the tradesman doesn't want but will do if the price is high enough.

Must admit I do the same with dents, the customer has a choice though and so should I.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had two quotes for garden fencing. Guy who came yesterday said he can do it next week if I want so presumably he can get materials 👍 Other guy said 3 weeks as he’s booked up
Both would be quite happy for the business, just waiting on second quote

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Remember , we have all been asked to stay at home and to move about as little as possible . May be some of us in the building trade dont want to come to your house and do the job you want doing until we are told the distancing measures are going to be eased .

Hicky

Guru
It depends if they a, value their health and b, if the need the money/can get materials if they turn up.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Remember , we have all been asked to stay at home and to move about as little as possible . May be some of us in the building trade dont want to come to your house and do the job you want doing until we are told the distancing measures are going to be eased .

Why did he bother answering his flipping phone then? Why did he bother coming out to see the job? He'd be working on the roof, it's not exactly crowded up there.

Top Bottom