Hove cyclist sues council after fall in cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, if it makes councils think a bit about getting facilities right, it's good.

Although I wonder how a good cyclist would not see a kerb. Hit it at the wrong angle maybe, I've done that trying to mount a kerb. But they say it's badly placed, so that must account for it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Ermm... torn in two really. on one hand she should look where she's riding, on the other, if it blends in with the background then yea it should be more visible. We've got enough crap to concentrate on without the council adding in hazards.

To be honest, if it makes councils stop installing cycle lanes then yea i'm all for it, hate cycle lanes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Anyone know where it is so we can look on Google?

I don't mind people claiming for reasonable costs (fix bike, clothes, maybe lost income) ... but to sue for £50000 is going too far.

buggi

Bird Saviour
dodgy said:
Fractured wrist and elbow is not a 'serious injury' imo.

depends how much trouble you have after.

my mates husband chucked her down the stairs (nice lad!) and she fractured her elbow. Has spent the last 20 years living with an arm she can hardly bend.

my mum fractured her wrist and has now developed arthritis in it.

It's quite serious if you're the one that has to live with it, and there was nothing wrong with it before.

it may not be life threatening but after breaking my collar bone two years ago (which healed fine by the way) and having to live like a disabled person for a few weeks, i certainly would think it was serious if my injuries lasted a lifetime.

i'm not saying hers have, but a few weeks in pain was certainly serious enough for me.

dodgy said:
Fractured wrist and elbow is not a 'serious injury' imo.

I'm not sure about that one to be honest, broken bones can always be serious. It does depend if there's articular involvement (the surface of the bone that forms part of the joint) but even a subcapsular fracture can be serious business if there are complications requiring pins, wire and a dose of anaesthetic.

dodgy

Yeah, I know. But the lawyer on the link above is already claiming it's a "serious injury. It isn't. :becool:

OP
OP
rusky

rusky

CC Addict
summerdays said:
Anyone know where it is so we can look on Google?

I don't mind people claiming for reasonable costs (fix bike, clothes, maybe lost income) ... but to sue for £50000 is going too far.
Tis here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=vLX7CEoo2sb_kmoAH5kLOQ&cbp=12,11.65,,0,24.42

not sure which way she was travelling.

dragon72

Guru
She's using a bunch of ambulance-chaser lawyers to make a few quid out of the council. I cycle at that junction all the time. I usually do it with my eyes open though.

dodgy

She seems to be able to hold the handlebars anyway, unless this picture was taken prior to her 'tumble'.

Bless her.
1273143.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
broken bones are 'serious injuries', in the expression beloved of policemen and hospital PR's, plenty of people die every year from the thromboses which arise from them.

Matthames

Über Member
I just looked at the cycle lane on google street view. I wouldn't use it myself. In actual fact it would probably be safer to use the road instead.

My main reasons for avoiding it would be:

-It cuts across the junction increasing the likelihood of a SMIDSY type accident.
-The dividing kerb makes using the lane dangerous.

So suing the council for this abomination is the right thing to do.

Top Bottom