Hove cyclist sues council after fall in cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rusky

rusky

CC Addict
It got into the paper as the town has a general hatred of anything that's not got an internal combustion engine.

I sympathise with you on your accident. I have been thrown over the bars of a bike. I Was going about 20mph, hit a bump & the steerer snapped! Lost 2 teeth & broke my hand.

When the plaster is off, get on the bike & take it easy. It will take time to regain confidence but you'll probably regret it if you don't.

GWS

robz400

a large award will prompt the council to review their facilities and fix any which are dangerous

But where it stop? The airlines were shut down for a week arguably due to the risk of financial cliams if anything went wrong. As soon as the finanacial implications of the ban became clear suddenly the skys are apparently safe again! The ash hasn't gone...

Cases like these affect the freedom of everybody else as councils have to go ott on H&S to protect themselves.

We'll all end up with numberplates tatoo'd to our arses forced to take out insurance for cycling/running ....

Pedal Post

rusky said:
When the plaster is off, get on the bike & take it easy. It will take time to regain confidence but you'll probably regret it if you don't.

GWS

My rehab was going to be a week on Mallorca 2 days after the cast is gone to get my road cycling head back into shape again... until someone told me about the grids there with gaps going in the line of travel like the 1 that ate me up..:blush:

oh well I shall just have to make sure I dont get distracted

on the road

Über Member
summerdays said:
I don't mind people claiming for reasonable costs (fix bike, clothes, maybe lost income) ... but to sue for £50000 is going too far.
That's just a red herring, solicitors often make excessive claims against the defendant, the idea is the defendant will make an offer which will be a lot less then what the claimant asked for but the offer will be what the claimant really wanted. So the defendant will think they've had a small victory when in fact the claimant has had the bigger victory.

If she is successful, I might aim for the no entry sign. Or the ridiculously raised left side of the lane. I reckon I can het the kerb, bounce into the NE sign and be diverted full-tilt into the wall of the left kerb and smash my head on the railings.

http://bit.ly/aLmxda

But seriously...these sort of obstructions segregating lanes would be classed as dangerous if the roles were reversed...

And the scenario I suggested COULD happen accidentally, given the litter that usually is left in the entrance to the lane.

on the road

Über Member
Another thing, people are very quick to condemn someone for claiming for excessive amounts, but it's not them asking for that much, their solicitor writes to them and tells them that's what they are going to claim on their behalf.

I know that road - and the 'lanes' on it - well.

I think that I shall, just this once, break my self-imposed taboo, and draw people's attention to a thread which I posted, in an earlier incarnation, on another forum.

As you can see, this particular 'farcility' was debated at some length two years ago.

I don't often cycle along that road, but I would pass this by way of comment: (1) the lanes are very poorly designed and leave the risk of accident wide open, and (2) nevertheless this lady ought to have looked where she was going, and I suspect someone is being - ahem - taken for a ride here. :sad:

No more to say.

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
I don't often cycle along that road, but I would pass this by way of comment: (1) the lanes are very poorly designed and leave the risk of accident wide open, and (2) nevertheless this lady ought to have looked where she was going, and I suspect someone is being - ahem - taken for a ride here. :sad:

No more to say.

I guess it's 'unlucky' for her case that (I'm assuming this, since nothing is mentioned) she wasn't forced to swerve and hit the kerb, as might happen. Someone needs to see how stupid the kerb is, but it happens that the person who has proved that maybe could have taken more care herself.

Top Bottom