How a Bicycle is Made film on today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Bit late notice but on the Talking Pictures channel (445 on Virgin) at 3pm today there is a 1940's short film made in the Raleigh factory, showing how they made the bikes. I'm recording it to watch later, but thought it might be of interest to some. Only 20 minutes long.

Doesn't seem to be listed for any other showings but will probably come round again at some point.

dodgy

You can watch it now on that Internet thing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9Hr16V2Ig

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I love the accents. My mum aged 90 still talks like that.
Didn't realise Mr Chumley Warner made bicycles.
Known as RP, received pronunciation or more commonly BBC English. I wonder what happened to that, but still used by a certain Rees-Mogg.

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
I enjoyed watching that. Thank you.

I re-played the bit where the woman was putting the tyre on a couple of times. How quick was that :notworthy:

OP
OP
A

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Well I eventually watched it. What a great little film. Very Mr Cholmondley-Warner, but fascinating to see how much of it was semi automated even back then. I liked the bit at the end with hundreds of folk on bikes. I laughed at the bit where they said something like, 'And we even make bikes for the ladies...with a basket on the front', and the young lad replies, 'Like the one mother rides to the shops...'.

Top Bottom