1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about snow and ice?

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by 12boy, 6 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. 12boy

12boy Active Member

Most of those on this forum seem to live in the UK. In the last 24 hours here in central Wyoming we have had 8 + inches of snow and the temps never got above 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Tonight and for the next few days we'll have -0 nights and 10 degree days. I will just walk for a couple of days until the roads are clearer and less icy and then will use a 700 C bike until they dry up some more. What do you folks do in such conditions? Can you ride your Bromptons through snow and on ice? Just wondering.

2. Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Veteran

Trikes work well in snowy / icy conditions.

raleighnut likes this.
  3. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

In February I was in Norway at Nordkapp

Vehicles are only allowed to travel in convoy with a snowplough leading

929366585.jpg

Coming back down and travelling at a fair speed was a cyclist!

He was well dressed and on what looked like a "FatBike"....... so it was not an issue for them

TrishnBonnie likes this.
  4. chriswoody

chriswoody Über Member

Here in Northern Germany, it's currently -7 Celsius and I'll be heading out soon on my folder. I don't have a Brompton, but I have a 20 inch wheeled Tern. It handles absolutely fine in this weather and the one time I did have a spill it was actually safer on the Tern, because the low frame meant I could just step of the bike and not come to any harm. We also had a good few centimetres of snow last year and again the bike was for the most part absolutely great in those conditions. Whilst the Brommie has smaller wheels again, you should have no bother.

5. Snow is a superb training ground for learning to ride clipped in. Not only are them some great techniques you can learn, but when you get it wrong there's a soft landing for you and bike.

Driving no problem. People spend all year moaning about my 4x4 (I don't know why, they don't have to drive it) but an inch of snow and suddenly it's the best thing since sliced bread. Twits.

6. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

You have a 4x4? You kept that quiet.

7. Did I not mention it? Got 2 at the moment. Been offered a third, but Mrs Drago would not be impressed if I brought home something else with an engine attached.

8. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

Sadly we never get conditions like that here, I wish we did, just love the snow and ice. Its all a bit unfair especially when you consider I live nearly 1000 miles north of you (bloody gulf stream)

We are having a mini cold snap here at the moment, Sunday night -6.1c, Monday high of 0.3c and a low on monday night of -5.3c. Now -3c Then wierdly the forecast is for 12c by midnight today.

9. Sharky

Sharky Über Member

We did have a cold spell a few years ago.

In 1963!

snorri and Drago like this.
  10. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Lower saddle, lower tyre pressures (but still hard enough not to pinch-flat) and be ready to jump off, especially if there's soft snow nearby. There's another bike with studded tyres which I can use sometimes, but it can't go everywhere the folding bike can go, which is part of the reason we've got a folding bike too.

Schwalbe Marathon Winters seem to exist in 406 and Schwalbe Winters in 349 (Brompton), so I guess that's an option if I needed to ride over ice more.

John the Monkey likes this.
  11. Kell

Kell Well-Known Member

We've had mild winters the last few years. And as I've only had my Brommie since last August, then I can't really comment on snow, but I used it every work day since getting it with a few exceptions like going out for drinks.

I've not had to not ride because of weather, but I can imagine a Brompton in the snow wouldn't be much good.

12. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Active Member

If we get enough snow that I cant use the Brommie then I can guarantee the office will be shut and we're working from home.... Southern England shuts down if more than an inch falls...

13. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

4248471329_61a3bd2f63_b.jpg Snow Brompton by Jacques LeSinge, on Flickr

Although that day, I did about as much walking as cycling. Packed snow is ok, but once it's melted a bit and frozen on top, or if it's just icy the tips about lowering the saddle &c make sense. Allow extra time for your journey (so you can take things easy and walk if need be) and lay off your front brake.

14. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Most would 'phone the workplace and say they can't get in, followed by a grossly exaggerated description of the weather conditions viewed through the bedroom window.:okay:.

15. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Brompton is my bike of choice if it's slippy.
    It's very easy to get untangled from if you and/or the bike have an unintentional quick lie down in the snow.

mjr and John the Monkey like this.