How about snow and ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Most of those on this forum seem to live in the UK. In the last 24 hours here in central Wyoming we have had 8 + inches of snow and the temps never got above 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Tonight and for the next few days we'll have -0 nights and 10 degree days. I will just walk for a couple of days until the roads are clearer and less icy and then will use a 700 C bike until they dry up some more. What do you folks do in such conditions? Can you ride your Bromptons through snow and on ice? Just wondering.

Most of those on this forum seem to live in the UK. In the last 24 hours here in central Wyoming we have had 8 + inches of snow and the temps never got above 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Tonight and for the next few days we'll have -0 nights and 10 degree days. I will just walk for a couple of days until the roads are clearer and less icy and then will use a 700 C bike until they dry up some more. What do you folks do in such conditions? Can you ride your Bromptons through snow and on ice? Just wondering.
Trikes work well in snowy / icy conditions.

In February I was in Norway at Nordkapp

Vehicles are only allowed to travel in convoy with a snowplough leading

929366585.jpg

Coming back down and travelling at a fair speed was a cyclist!

He was well dressed and on what looked like a "FatBike"....... so it was not an issue for them

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Here in Northern Germany, it's currently -7 Celsius and I'll be heading out soon on my folder. I don't have a Brompton, but I have a 20 inch wheeled Tern. It handles absolutely fine in this weather and the one time I did have a spill it was actually safer on the Tern, because the low frame meant I could just step of the bike and not come to any harm. We also had a good few centimetres of snow last year and again the bike was for the most part absolutely great in those conditions. Whilst the Brommie has smaller wheels again, you should have no bother.

Drago

Legendary Member
Snow is a superb training ground for learning to ride clipped in. Not only are them some great techniques you can learn, but when you get it wrong there's a soft landing for you and bike.

Driving no problem. People spend all year moaning about my 4x4 (I don't know why, they don't have to drive it) but an inch of snow and suddenly it's the best thing since sliced bread. Twits.

Drago

Legendary Member
Did I not mention it? Got 2 at the moment. Been offered a third, but Mrs Drago would not be impressed if I brought home something else with an engine attached.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do you folks do in such conditions? Can you ride your Bromptons through snow and on ice? Just wondering.
Lower saddle, lower tyre pressures (but still hard enough not to pinch-flat) and be ready to jump off, especially if there's soft snow nearby. There's another bike with studded tyres which I can use sometimes, but it can't go everywhere the folding bike can go, which is part of the reason we've got a folding bike too.

Schwalbe Marathon Winters seem to exist in 406 and Schwalbe Winters in 349 (Brompton), so I guess that's an option if I needed to ride over ice more.

Kell

Veteran
We've had mild winters the last few years. And as I've only had my Brommie since last August, then I can't really comment on snow, but I used it every work day since getting it with a few exceptions like going out for drinks.

I've not had to not ride because of weather, but I can imagine a Brompton in the snow wouldn't be much good.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If we get enough snow that I cant use the Brommie then I can guarantee the office will be shut and we're working from home.... Southern England shuts down if more than an inch falls...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
4248471329_61a3bd2f63_b.jpg Snow Brompton by Jacques LeSinge, on Flickr

Although that day, I did about as much walking as cycling. Packed snow is ok, but once it's melted a bit and frozen on top, or if it's just icy the tips about lowering the saddle &c make sense. Allow extra time for your journey (so you can take things easy and walk if need be) and lay off your front brake.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
This morning it is -21 Celsius or -6 Fahrenheit, with a wind chill of another 10 degrees of F below that. It seems so odd that although further north it is warmer there. I have to say I don't see how John the Monkey can ride in those conditions as the space between fender and tire gets packed and she no go. Hats off to you, John the Monkey. I'd give it a try if I didn't have to contend with cars as well as my own ineptitude.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
The Doctor is correct about the falling down. Not only is there snow to cushion, but I am so bundled up that I feel like the Michelin Man.

Top Bottom