How about snow and ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have to say I don't see how John the Monkey can ride in those conditions as the space between fender and tire gets packed and she no go.
As long as you can keep the small wheels spinning, the friction probably melts the snow enough to keep things moving in my experience. Sometimes gets a bit nasty if you stop for long, though you probably want to try a route avoiding long stops at traffic lights if possible because cars are far worse at stopping :sad: Anyway, I've been stopped more by twigs hidden under the snow getting caught up in the spokes than by snow fouling tyres.

Hats off to you, John the Monkey. I'd give it a try if I didn't have to contend with cars as well as my own ineptitude.
Yeah, cars ice-dancing seem like the biggest risk in these conditions. :sad:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
The country lane I'm on is beginning to get very icy in the morning and early evening. I'm riding it on a 700c hybrid with pretty decent tyres and I feel relatively confident doing so. I'm kinda wishing it would snow so I can see how confident I am on that. Whilst I've not ridden a folding bike psychologically I think I'd want a bigger wheel below me, I'm not sure why as I'm sure they'd handle well.

GOAB

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use my scooter in snow and ice.

2013-03-12171639_zps395ce3af.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-03-12171639_zps395ce3af.jpg
    2013-03-12171639_zps395ce3af.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 48

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Driving no problem. People spend all year moaning about my 4x4 (I don't know why, they don't have to drive it) but an inch of snow and suddenly it's the best thing since sliced bread. Twits.
But once the snow turns to ice it won't stop you sliding off the road like anything else.

Top Bottom