How about some Art Deco...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With or without bikes. Here's a couple of Northampton Art Deco buildings to start.

DSC_1649.JPG

The 1936 Cooperative Society building, Northampton town centre. Now The Ridings mall.

DSC_0772.JPG

And the 1930's Old Savoy that has been restored. It's been a cinema twice, a religious centre and now a theatre & venue.

Sharky

Guru
Like art deco architecture. They keep popping up in town centres and other places and I often wonder who occupied them when they were first built. Must have been quite well off people.

The one below, I pass quite frequently. It over looks what is now the Bluewater shopping complex and still looks quite grand.
Bluewater shopping centre was built on the former cement/quarry works near Gravesend.
Now converted to appartments, but I only imagine the "Big Boss" of Blue Circle Cement once lived there.

Screenshot_20220811_133233.jpg

Sywell Aerodrome in Northamptonshire has a great history..

View attachment 656901

The main building..

View attachment 656903

Restaurant is in keeping, too.

View attachment 656902

Even some of the warehouses have retained the style.

From the days when flying was civilised.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
View attachment 656811

Dreamland, on Margate seafront, with the brutalist Arlington House in the background.. I took this t'other week during a family visit.
A lot of the funfair is still going strong behind thee main building. I used to belong to the squash club many years ago when I lived just up the coast in Cliftonville.

I went past Dreamland today, the seafront and beach was heaving with DFL's.

PK99

Legendary Member
I find it an interesting style. I can recognise it when I see it but I would find it extremely difficult to describe to someone who didn't know it! :wacko:
Britannica:
"Art Deco is a popular design style of the 1920s and '30s characterized especially by sleek geometric or stylized forms and by the use of man-made materials."

presta

Guru
The art deco building where I used to work, not long before demolition.
1660781200702.png

In a less dilapidated state here, behind an outside broadcast van.
1660781986437.jpeg

The vans, among other things, were built in here.
1660781434991.png

It was a listed building, but the squatters and metal thieves got in, so they decided to de-list it and demolish it instead.
1660781359595.png

The non art deco frontage onto the road was saved, and converted into flats.
1660782293783.png

Top Bottom