How and what do you carry when you go cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My version of Dogtrousers' disaster kit
In short ... Too much crap too

2xspare inner tube (why? because if you unexpectedly run into some thorns at speed on the road there's a good chance both wheels will suffer).
Tyre levers -try them out before you need them in the middle of nowhere. Lots of useless bendy plastic things about.
Puncture repair kit. Watch the rubber solution. Once you've opened it, you might find you've only got a tube full of air next time. It evaporates!
Dumbell spanner
6"adjustable spanner
TA socket tool (fits crank bolt)
Chain tool
Allen keys -some bolts are had to get at with a multi tool, so the separate allen key for those work better.
Small cyclists multi tool. Because I am a small cyclist? Maybe.
No 25 Torx key (for adjusting BB5 Disc brake)
Some spares ( nuts, bolts, allen bolts.)
Small roll Gorilla Tape
Cable ties
Power bank for recharging phone plus cable (Oh so smart phone has oh so tiny battery life)
Swiss Army Knife (I suppose that makes me a knife wielding thug)
Food ... whatever takes your fancy
Waterproof top
Spare layers (if necessary). I am usually too hot. A buff is useful, takes up little space and has many uses.
Lock
Pump (on bike) Full size frame pump.
Lights (on bike ... If necessary). I notice that some riders use flashing lights in daylight now. Your choice.
Phone
Wallet
Cash
Spare specs
Loads of tissues (kitchen roll for preference). Nose runs like a tap once I get hot and bothered, especially on cold days.
Bottle of water.
Plus random pointless stuff that has taken up residence in my bag. It's always in there, I don't add or subtract stuff dependent on the expected mileage (apart from food).

Can we see a picture of this complete set off stuff you take?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It’s not winter, hasn’t rained for a bit, and how many rides are in the dark right now? Agree about the rain, and winter, not so much at night as you’re just as likely to puncture new tube. But some see it as a default even in nice weather during the day. Result, carrying much more bulk than necessary. Some don’t even repair punctured tube once home. What a waste.

I always take the same, just leave it all in my saddlebag. Even if you repair en route routinely, it's useful to have a tube, in case one fails at the valve, or your glue has dried out (I've experienced both of these).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never quite understand all this spare tube stuff. Take a patch kit much lighter, more compact, and can fix far more punctures.

Impatience and inept at repairs. The mentality of a lot of cyclists who have QR wheels is just change the tube and don't worry about fixing it! Sometimes they don't even bother to repair the punctured tubes later, they just chuck them in the bin! More money than sense. When you ride old stuff with nutted axles and mudguards, or worse still hub gears and chaincases, you don't want to remove a wheel if you don't have to - so you pull the tube out, patch it, find and remove what caused the flat, then put it back in.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I often change the tube when I get a puncture. It's called opportunity cost.......I have better things to do with my time than sit there trying to get a patch on a punctured tube. There are also many times during winter rides when my fingers are too cold to repair it. I can repair them....I learnt as a child when I first started riding.

Like everything, different people do different things. I'd never judge a person on how they deal with their punctures. Again, life is too short.

Tom B

Guru
As little as possible.

Anything over 6miles I take my puncture pouch which has a jetvalve, 2 co2 canisters, some instant patches and some little tyre levers. All fits in a pouch the size of a large wallet/fist and goes usually in a pocket if I haven't carried a bag for another reason.

If I'm going any distance I'll take a bottle or two of water and drink another full bottle before I go so I should be good for 45 mins before using my carried bottles. If I'm going on a point to point to point ride. Say town to parents to work or have a known friendly spot along the way I'll perhaps take the energy / electrolyte powered either as well as or dry in one of the bottles and add water at one of the points. I have been known to cadge water from people along my way. I'll certainly ask any cafe or bike shop I stop at to fill my bottles, bit have been know to ask random people washing cars and fill from streams, graveyards taps or allotments are usually good for a tap.

These days I usually take my phone which serves as a contactless payment bank card, but in days of old used to have an emergency £1 coin and a 10p taped in my helmet.

I'll take a bag or lock as required. If I'm on the MTB I'll take a chain tool and spare links too.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Never quite understand all this spare tube stuff. Take a patch kit much lighter, more compact, and can fix far more punctures.
Neither do I, but unfortunately the thread title is a bit loose.
Sometimes I "go cycling" to call on friends 300 metres away, but I have been known to "go cycling" to Oslo, Prague etc. as have many others on here. Most of us would, I think vary the emergency kit carried depending on trip duration or territory being covered.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It’s not winter, hasn’t rained for a bit, and how many rides are in the dark right now? Agree about the rain, and winter, not so much at night as you’re just as likely to puncture new tube. But some see it as a default even in nice weather during the day. Result, carrying much more bulk than necessary. Some don’t even repair punctured tube once home. What a waste.
I carry both - two tubes and also a small glue & patch kit (plus one or two packets of instant patches which I have been known to donate to unprepared cyclists).

I prefer to take my time over fixing tubes at home, so I change the tube at the roadside. It is, as you say, my "default", whatever the weather. As noted much preferable in crappy weather. When it's raining it's impossible to keep stuff dry unless you happen to have found a bus shelter or similar and punctures seem to be more common when rain is washing stuff onto the roads. I don't see two tubes as at all problematic or burdensome to carry. They just live in my rack bag.

Of course there's nothing wrong with fixing punctures at the roadside. I just prefer to do them at home. I quite enjoy it. Some might prefer to take time out from a ride for fixing a puncture. Whatever you prefer.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Am I missing something here (being a Shimano fanboy commoner)?
It's not the quick link that's going to break......

Sorry - should explain myself!

I mean I’m sufficiently happy with Campagnolo chains not to bother installing them with a quick link. Never had one break on me so I’m happy to leave them as they are installed by LBS. I agree it’s unlikely to be the quick link that goes, but all modern chains seem pretty reliable. I have a KMC chain on my fixed (which does have a quick link) but as I mainly use that for commuting and am never far from a bike shop, I don’t bother carrying a spare on it either.

DSK

Now the only thing I carry is;

1. mini pump
2. bottle of drink
3. mobile phone.
4. puncture repair kit stuck to underside f seat with gorilla tape.

If something goes wrong outside of what can be fixed with the above, its a call home or taxi.

MarkF

Guru
Hi everyone,

I have just bought my first "proper" bike and its a hybrid bike, I was just wondering what things you take with you on a bike ride and how you carry it?

A regular ride, 20/25 miles, I carry nothing, I didn't when I was a kid and I don't now. Further afield or when when getting back is a hassle I'll carry stuff.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's quicker to repair in situ than take the wheel off, even on the road bike with QRs.

I carry a sealant can more for when it's cold than wet. Patches aren't affected by mild rain and there's usually shelter nearby except right out on the fens, but cold is harder to escape and it hinders adhesion.

Top Bottom