How and what do you carry when you go cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Some stuff may not be necessary but if carrying it makes you more comfortable about things going wrong then I say carry it.
In my twenties I'd go mountain biking with little more than a pump and couple patches and I was happy with it.
These days I worry that the very thing I didn't bring to cover a certain risk is guaranteed to bring about that risk. So I bring it. And that makes me happy.
Easy.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
nowt to do with weight, its just the faff of carrying stuff you don’t need to.
For me carrying too much is actually a faff reducer. A whole bunch of stuff lives in my rack bag, tubes, tools etc. I could probably cut down the amount and select specific things needed depending on the nature of the ride, but I'm too lazy.

I have two modes - rack bag on (for long rides), or rack bag off (for local rides/hill sessions where I can easily walk home). I do have a tool bottle thing so I could probably have an intermediate mode for rides when I don't go far. I might try that now I'm out of the imperial and metric challenges for the year.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
For me carrying too much is actually a faff reducer. A whole bunch of stuff lives in my bag, tubes, tools etc. I could probably cut down the amount and select specific things needed depending on the nature of the ride, but I'm too lazy.
That's me all over. It means I don't have to think about it, I can spontaneously decide to go for a bike ride, grab some refreshments, stuff it in the bag and go.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I have carried 2 inner tubes with me on every ride for thousands of miles ... and a puncture repair kit .... A few months ago i decided to only carry one tube and no puncture repair kit ....
And guess what .... still not a single puncture .....despite being ridden on and off road on a weekly basis ...
Vittoria tyres ..... good kit ...
I have a large under seat pack for short rides =<60 miles and a rack and pannier, that takes 2 minutes tops to fit, for longer rides ...

Never quite understand all this spare tube stuff. Take a patch kit much lighter, more compact, and can fix far more punctures.
I used to carry a repair kit but found I never used it enough to stop the vulcanising glue from going off or the tube would't cope with the vibrations and fail. 6 months or more between events the spare tube is still reliable especially in poor weather. Its also not as fast as a quick tube change. (Time was particularly crucial for me when I was on chemo too long I'd go too cold and numb to use anything). I carry self adhesive patches for that rare time when I need more than the tubes Im carrying (1 for short rides, 2 for long rides).
Having said that I switched to tubeless now and carry a £3 repair kit for them and will sometimes not carry a tube when riding in a group.
One thing to be careful of if relying on a spare tube is stem length if you have deeper rims. I've seen a few folk come a cropper there.
I finally decided to get my TT bike out and have been carrying a disk wheel pump adaptor, valve extender and removable core spanner. I wouldn't ordinarily carry them but things are a wee bit different just now :okay:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Yep ... too many experiences of the glue gone solid with puncture repair kits and read to many stories of self adhesive patches giving up ... a tube will do for me ...

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
My version of Dogtrousers' disaster kit
In short ... Too much crap too

2xspare inner tube (why? because if you unexpectedly run into some thorns at speed on the road there's a good chance both wheels will suffer).
Tyre levers -try them out before you need them in the middle of nowhere. Lots of useless bendy plastic things about.
Puncture repair kit. Watch the rubber solution. Once you've opened it, you might find you've only got a tube full of air next time. It evaporates!
Dumbell spanner
6"adjustable spanner
TA socket tool (fits crank bolt)
Chain tool
Allen keys -some bolts are had to get at with a multi tool, so the separate allen key for those work better.
Small cyclists multi tool. Because I am a small cyclist? Maybe.
No 25 Torx key (for adjusting BB5 Disc brake)
Some spares ( nuts, bolts, allen bolts.)
Small roll Gorilla Tape
Cable ties
Power bank for recharging phone plus cable (Oh so smart phone has oh so tiny battery life)
Swiss Army Knife (I suppose that makes me a knife wielding thug)
Food ... whatever takes your fancy
Waterproof top
Spare layers (if necessary). I am usually too hot. A buff is useful, takes up little space and has many uses.
Lock
Pump (on bike) Full size frame pump.
Lights (on bike ... If necessary). I notice that some riders use flashing lights in daylight now. Your choice.
Phone
Wallet
Cash
Spare specs
Loads of tissues (kitchen roll for preference). Nose runs like a tap once I get hot and bothered, especially on cold days.
Bottle of water.
Plus random pointless stuff that has taken up residence in my bag. It's always in there, I don't add or subtract stuff dependent on the expected mileage (apart from food).

Think I saw you out and about the other week.

bag.png

MarkF

Guru
I said I don't carry anything, but I forgot, I never go out without a spork.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Pump on frame, phone with Brit Cycling details inside case, the rest in my seat bag. I'll carry another tube in my jersey pocket on longer days. Bag contains- hex keys, Co2+nozzle, chain tool, quick links, levers, spoke key, s.a patches, tube, gloves and a toothpaste tube tyre boot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom