How and what do you carry when you go cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In an old Camelbak:
Two tubes, puncture repair kit and levers, minitool, chaintool, card, cash. Once the phone is set, it goes in with speaker facing my ears. Zip it up, ride on. Two water bottles for longer rides, one for up to, say, 20 miles.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I carry multi tool, two spare inners, puncture repair kit and tyre levers in a small saddle bag. Mini pump attached to the frame.

The other thing, which no one else has mentioned, in the saddle bag is a spare set of gear and brake cables, after the experience of breaking one very far from home. Weigh almost nothing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The other thing, which no one else has mentioned, in the saddle bag is a spare set of gear and brake cables, after the experience of breaking one very far from home. Weigh almost nothing.
I carry them on tour but forgot them. On day rides, I don't carry the pliers and small jewellers' screwdrivers needed to free a snapped cable remnant - and in my experience, they usually snap in the lever.

If I’m riding solo. I’ve pretty much got a workshop in a backpack, especially if it’s a longer effort, or somewhere remote. If it’s a shorter effort, or with a group, I’ll take a couple of spare tubes, levers, and a pump, and / or some CO2 and an inflator and multi tool, and possibly a quick link for whichever chain I’m using in that particular bike, I’ve got 8, 10, 11, and 12 speed bikes, and I’ll carry them in jersey pockets, and my phone.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Below 10 miles, I will take a spare tube and tyre levers.
Anything over 10 miles I will take a P******e kit, Multi tool, a spare tube, pump, water bottle. A snack or cereal bar.
Over 50 miles, I would add a couple of snacks.

a.twiddler

Veteran
My version of Dogtrousers' disaster kit
In short ... Too much crap too

2xspare inner tube (why? because if you unexpectedly run into some thorns at speed on the road there's a good chance both wheels will suffer).
Tyre levers -try them out before you need them in the middle of nowhere. Lots of useless bendy plastic things about.
Puncture repair kit. Watch the rubber solution. Once you've opened it, you might find you've only got a tube full of air next time. It evaporates!
Dumbell spanner
6"adjustable spanner
TA socket tool (fits crank bolt)
Chain tool
Allen keys -some bolts are had to get at with a multi tool, so the separate allen key for those work better.
Small cyclists multi tool. Because I am a small cyclist? Maybe.
No 25 Torx key (for adjusting BB5 Disc brake)
Some spares ( nuts, bolts, allen bolts.)
Small roll Gorilla Tape
Cable ties
Power bank for recharging phone plus cable (Oh so smart phone has oh so tiny battery life)
Swiss Army Knife (I suppose that makes me a knife wielding thug)
Food ... whatever takes your fancy
Waterproof top
Spare layers (if necessary). I am usually too hot. A buff is useful, takes up little space and has many uses.
Lock
Pump (on bike) Full size frame pump.
Lights (on bike ... If necessary). I notice that some riders use flashing lights in daylight now. Your choice.
Phone
Wallet
Cash
Spare specs
Loads of tissues (kitchen roll for preference). Nose runs like a tap once I get hot and bothered, especially on cold days.
Bottle of water.
Plus random pointless stuff that has taken up residence in my bag. It's always in there, I don't add or subtract stuff dependent on the expected mileage (apart from food).

Last edited:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Always: spare inner tube, small multi-tool, tyre levers (all in small saddle pack), pump on the bike on a bracket under the bottle cage. Lights on the bike. Phone and credit card/cash in my jersey pocket.

Mostly: bottle of water (usually v dilute squash) and emergency snack/energy bar, unless I know I’m going to be out for less that 90 mins, when I won’t bother.

Sometimes: second inner tube, gilet or rain jacket, energy gel. Tend to take these of the ride is 50 miles or longer

Never: chain link (I use campagnolo chains which don’t come with quick links), puncture patches (have them at home), cables or anything else to do with pedals, cleats, brakes etc (beyond my capability to fit by the side of the road).

This has worked for me for the past 20 years or so but I don’t tour or other multi-day adventures. If I did, I’d prob take more but only if I had learned how to use it first!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
  • A spanner and an allen key for every fixing on the bike. (Can be as few as four items if an adjustable is included.)
  • A spare tub or puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a pump.
  • A chain tool
  • A full bottle
  • A lock
  • 750 calories of food. (E.g. three sandwiches, or a pack of dried figs, or a bag of dried apricots or some energy gels.)
  • The fare home. (Me + a broken bike from the most distant station of the day.)

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Pump
Tyre levers
Spare tube
Wilco puncture repair kit
Reading glasses
Handkerchief
Phone
Fiver

If I'm feeling particularly worthy, I might take a chain tool and a spare link, and if there are flying insects about, a pair of cheapo sunnies.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
All true. But almost impossible to use in the dark in the pissing rain in winter. So I take both.

It’s not winter, hasn’t rained for a bit, and how many rides are in the dark right now? Agree about the rain, and winter, not so much at night as you’re just as likely to puncture new tube. But some see it as a default even in nice weather during the day. Result, carrying much more bulk than necessary. Some don’t even repair punctured tube once home. What a waste.

Top Bottom