How are we finding the used market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
This will be an interesting test of the market. I picked this up today, but due to now working full time again and having too many other projects on the go I'm going to stick it on ebay as it is, it is 100% original and a really easy restoration for someone.

The uptake of adult and teen bikes at Revive in Witchford has definitely slowed in the last couple of weeks. Some decent bikes have been stuck there for a little while now, whereas at most they'd only be there for two, maybe three days before being snapped up.

The teen full-susser BSO - things that normally fly out of there - have had no takers of late.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
This will be an interesting test of the market. I picked this up today, but due to now working full time again and having too many other projects on the go I'm going to stick it on ebay as it is, it is 100% original and a really easy restoration for someone.

View attachment 550462

View attachment 550463
But the market is a bit warped at the moment. A year ago a classic bike enthusiast would be the target market. Todaybthats just as likely to be bought by someone wanting a decent but cheapish bike.

And thats the nice thing about bikes. A bike that was nice to ride decades ago will, if its in good order, be equally nice to ride today. Other items may also functuon equally well, such as cars, minidisc players, etc, but the march of fashion and the need to impress the neighbours takes priority over utulity. With bikes function has always been the prime reason for buying.

Gunk

Guru
But the market is a bit warped at the moment. A year ago a classic bike enthusiast would be the target market. Todaybthats just as likely to be bought by someone wanting a decent but cheapish bike.

And thats the nice thing about bikes. A bike that was nice to ride decades ago will, if its in good order, be equally nice to ride today. Other items may also functuon equally well, such as cars, minidisc players, etc, but the march of fashion and the need to impress the neighbours takes priority over utulity. With bikes function has always been the prime reason for buying.

After owning modern bikes for many years and then going back to older bikes (I never quite felt the love with modern tackle) IMO the older stuff is much nicer to ride, not as fast, but I'm not looking to shave seconds off my times.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

I don't think that's necessarily the case tbh. While I can appreciate the argument for the 'rona fuelling a Maoist-style bicycle revolution, I don't really think the sense of necessity goes that deep. I reckon for most potential new blood looking to buy because of the pandemic it's a shiny new bike or bust..

I really don't think the will exists (certainly anymore, maybe at the beginning) to significantly drive up the desirability of old gear by the great unwashed; especially when they represent seemingly antiquated unknown quantities. While it's undeniable that the shops have been picked bare of new gear, IMO by far the biggest market for old road bike remains the stalward enthusiast.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
And hipsters
Only so they can ruin them with a "fixie" conversion then try to flip them on ebay for three times what anyone with any sense / taste would pay for their dephiled creation :rolleyes:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just back from lunch at Wetherspoons near the big Evans shop in Trafford Park. The shop seemed well stocked with lots of new bikes out, whereas a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of empty space. Few deals and reductions though and the shop was busy so I suppose the demand is still there without the need to discount.

yo vanilla

There are 225 bikes listed on my local Craigslist. I'd say on a quick glance a good half are little kids bikes, most of the rest are old, basic, $100 range bikes. I caught just a couple higher-end, I saw one or two in the $500 range and one at $1,100. Thinking back to last year... I think there was a bit more choice in better machinery, and more volume, but nearly the same overall.

Top Bottom