How are we finding used prices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's early days yet; I expect prices will continue to drop as winter wears on and sellers become more realistic.

I'm like @fossyant and don't need or want another bike. ( Although I could be tempted by a steel singlespeed).

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's early days yet; I expect prices will continue to drop as winter wears on and sellers become more realistic.

I'm like @fossyant and don't need or want another bike. ( Although I could be tempted by a steel singlespeed).

Indeed; although I'm looking at sold prices on ebay which I think is a pretty good indication of the current state of things. I guess if buying from other places (gumtree, FB marketplace perhaps) stuff might be had for a little less.. although to corroborate your point about realistic prices, there are still a lot listed for far higher. IIRC one of the Giant bikes I saw on ebay was up at £460 BIN and only got to about £200 on the bids; illustrating the gulf between buyer and seller expectations.

I'm in a similar position; were space and money no object there's loads of bikes I'd like.. but under my current circumstances I already have too many and between them they have most bases covered. I would like a Brompton (at the right price) although I suspect due to the combination of practicality, application and ownership demographic, I doubt these will come down by much..

EDIT: Actually, on the face of it there do seem to be some relatively bargain-tastic Bromptons about; with some apparently legit sales on ebay ending at less than £300. Time to set up an email alert on search results I think!

EDIT 2: Actually, sod's law while there are a lot of completed listings for sold, sub-£500 Bromptons, pretty much everything currently listed is north of £600.. perhaps sellers have cottoned on that low start prices aren't getting bid up to what the want... presumably the alternative is simply that they don't sell. I guess probably not a lot's been listed over the holiday either..

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Local Ebay prices are similar , stuff sitting there for months at really high starting prices .
In a similar position of want vs need as others , i have 4 bikes none of which are in need of replacing but i like to keep an eye on stuff.
Just bought a set of the superstar wheels for £34.50 as advertised on the bargain thread but i have had to contact the company as the description might mean they are no good as they are listed as through axle which is no good for me but the rims are caliper brake ( which is what i want ).

alex_cycles

Veteran
Local Ebay prices are similar , stuff sitting there for months at really high starting prices .
In a similar position of want vs need as others , i have 4 bikes none of which are in need of replacing but i like to keep an eye on stuff.
Just bought a set of the superstar wheels for £34.50 as advertised on the bargain thread but i have had to contact the company as the description might mean they are no good as they are listed as through axle which is no good for me but the rims are caliper brake ( which is what i want ).

Don't think I've seen thru-axle wheels with rim brakes, but I suppose they may exist.

Jameshow

Veteran

Hey I paid £37 I was robbed!!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hey I paid £37 I was robbed!!!

I paid £52.50 when it was a 66% discount. It was me that was robbed.

And checking them earlier the 'Ultra' wheelset I bought at £70 looks the same. So I was really robbed there.

Oh, and I've bought three other sets of the Ultra wheels - including the set I rode LEL on and the set son no. 2 rode a UCI race in Belgium on * - and they were £80. Now that's being really, really robbed in comparison.

* I doubt anyone else has ever done a UCI race on an £80 wheelset :laugh:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Further, another quick squiz at active listings on ebay seems to confirm, for a lot of examples, a massive deficit between what sellers are wanting / expecting (starting / BIN prices) and what stuff's actually selling for.. while I think bikes will be hit especially hard, it makes me wonder what's happening with other, potentially interesting items. With the cost of debt growing I fully expect bubbly asset prices to correct to a point; I imagine demand for / prices of a lot of other non-essential indulgances will fall considerably too, as people tighten their belts.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Further, another quick squiz at active listings on ebay seems to confirm, for a lot of examples, a massive deficit between what sellers are wanting / expecting (starting / BIN prices) and what stuff's actually selling for.. while I think bikes will be hit especially hard, it makes me wonder what's happening with other, potentially interesting items. With the cost of debt growing I fully expect bubbly asset prices to correct to a point; I imagine demand for / prices of a lot of other non-essential indulgances will fall considerably too, as people tighten their belts.

Obviously the other side is that people who HAVE overindulged may be looking to flog some of their unused extravagances.
Like you, I don't really need any additional bikes at the moment, but still hover around looking for bargains.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Another positive, if prices of used bikes do indeed crash through the floor: Maybe they will become less attractive to those with a disposition towards helping themselves to other people's property and selling it on in an effort to fund their trashy lifestyle. Or am I just being a little bit (uncharacteristically) optimistic?

Top Bottom