How are you so fit?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A 20% hill isn't going to be easy on any gears. And it would depend on the weather and surface too. Too wet or bumpy and you'll be spinning the wheel or getting the front wheel lifting.

Looking back the steepest hill I've done for the last few months was only 15% and that was not pleasant.

I doubt I'd get up a 20% if it was more than a few meters.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

stephec

Legendary Member
As a young rider I rode 52/42 with 14 - 24 on the back and could get up anything, now I'm on 48/34 and 12-28 and some hills are hard work.

That's all that seemed to be available in the old days, no such thing as a compact chainset with the only option being a triple on a tourer.

The good old ten speed racer with the same gears that the pros used, heavier bikes as well, no wonder they all took drugs to get up some of those mountains in the Alps and Pyrenees. 😊

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think most of the time you just have to put up with what you have, it is surprising how steep a road you can go up when you put your mind to it. I am a flat track bully compared to a mountain goat, but I often get up a relatively steep hill on my fixed gear faster than my geared bikes - yes in a lot more pain and with a huge amount of effort, but when you don't have a choice you just get on with it. I often find myself wishing for another gear, but I guess you can go too slowly to stay upright.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

It's a triple Shimano Deore crankset. Original 48/36/26. Now with a 50t outer chainring. Shifting done with Shimano XTR Di2
Yeh, I want that chainset but it's not compatible with pressfit bb86 is it? It's so frustrating!

50/36 and 11-28 for me .I could have done with an easier gear last time we went up to monsall head as we were hitting a few bits close to 30 %

How are you judging that ?

Looking at Strava the nastiest climb around me is Pen Baras pass and that maxes out at 17.7% according to the app.
if Strava is accurate I can't imagine anyone climbing a 30% gradient.

I thought it was much steeper.

Strava has Monsal Head at 14%. Veloviewer has it at 16 max.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How are you judging that ?

Looking at Strava the nastiest climb around me is Pen Baras pass and that maxes out at 17.7% according to the app.
if Strava is accurate I can't imagine anyone climbing a 30% gradient.

I thought it was much steeper.

Strava has Monsal Head at 14%. Veloviewer has it at 16 max.

i said when we went up to monsall head, on the way there was a section that clocked 27 percent

i said when we went up to monsall head, on the way there was a section that clocked 27 percent

I shall avoid that climb then !

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

There are bottom bracket conversion kits available. Do some research

Genuine question. My understanding is that you can't fit an MTB chainset on a road frame, not just because of the BB standard but because of the width of the BB shell as in this illustration. Technically I could use spacers to fit BB92 to my BB86 frame and install a Deore chainset, but that wouldn't be stable would it? Due to how much is exposed. And not sure what then happens to the chainline. I'd really like to know if anyone has tried.
1666026292706.png

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Genuine question. My understanding is that you can't fit an MTB chainset on a road frame, not just because of the BB standard but because of the width of the BB shell as in this illustration. Technically I could use spacers to fit BB92 to my BB86 frame and install a Deore chainset, but that wouldn't be stable would it? Due to how much is exposed. And not sure what then happens to the chainline. I'd really like to know if anyone has tried.
View attachment 664992

I have a Deore chainset in a road frame (Sabbath September). It's a triple 26,36,48 allied with a road 105 cassette 11-27. Hollowtech bottom bracket.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I have a Deore chainset in a road frame (Sabbath September). It's a triple 26,36,48 allied with a road 105 cassette 11-27. Hollowtech bottom bracket.

But has your bike got a BSA68 BB shell so you can mount an MTB BB? Which BB have you got on it?

I've found an answer to my own question. This is a review of a Hope spacer for pressfit BBs that someone left in French:

Parfait pour passer de BB86 vers BB92​

1 entretoise de chaque côté du boitier de pédalier avant de le monter sur le cadre pour passer de BB86 à BB92 et donc monter un pédalier de VTT sur un cadre de route/gravel/cyclocross

So apparently it's possible. I do still wonder if it's stable.

Edit: Hope doesn't recommend doing that.

I'm crap on hills -that said its a few years since I failed to get up a hill.

Over the years I've learned to accept the struggle - hands on top of bars and keep tapping out the rythm -not panicking and jumping out of the saddle - keep your breathing under control.

I doubt I ever will get faster - but keeping composed makes it ever so slightly less traumatic !!!

CXRAndy

Guru
There is always some compromise, using a spacer or two, chainline changes etc.

I just have a go. See what happens

Example Shimano state their MTB Di2 front derailleur is for a maximum of 40t chainring

I run a 50t chainring, whilst it's not the smoothest change it works every time.

Top Bottom