How are you so fit?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
hands on top of bars and keep tapping out the rythm -not panicking and jumping out of the saddle - keep your breathing under control.
This. /\
I love climbing hills (most times ^_^ ) and over the years its what I've learnt to do. With the above method I just take it nice and easy and work my way to the top. Im not the fastest but I'm not bothered about that. Many a time I've been overtaken by a racing snake on a long or steep hill to find them out of puff, resting at the top whilst I just pootle on by.

I'm lucky at the age of 56 that my fitness is still pretty good. I run a compact chainset on my Van Nick Road bike, 50/34 with an 11/25 cassette on the back. I'll soon be changing the crankset to a super compact, 46/34 as I do like the closer gears without the big jumps.
My touring/commuter bike runs a super compact chainset already with an 11/28 cassette. That helps me gets be up any hill or mountain without much problems or causing me to near die of exhaustion.

CXRAndy

Guru

CXRAndy

Guru
How much do you weigh @ianrauk ?

I can give you an example. I did a group tour in the Alps around Alp d Huez. Various rider ages, weights and bike setups. One guy stood out for his bike, it had 53-39 and 11-25 Cass. Strong little man from Singapore. I would watch him ride away each morning from me with a super low cadence. By day 3 he was getting in the van or walking near the top of the climbs. Everyone said he needed easier gearing. He spent over a £1000 getting a 50/34 and 11-32 Cass. Next day we were doing the Marmot course, he had no problems spinning up all the climbs.

I was happy using my 11-40 Cass spinning away

Alex321

Veteran
This one: https://www.strava.com/segments/998610

On my RidewithGPS it shows as 2.3mi, adding a little bit on both ends. As you can see, high cadence with 30x40. I did it with 30x34 today - it was harder and I was surprised to find out that I was slower as well. Not that I care about the speed, I just want to make it easy!
View attachment 664921

I thought I'd give it another try today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/8008380712

That climb is HARD. Admittedly, I was doing it with a 34/30 because I'd managed to trip over my bike earlier in the ride and bend the derailleur hanger slightly, so that in 34/32, it was just pinging the spokes, and I wasn't going to ride with it doing that.

I also didn't start from the absolute bottom, by the B&Q roundabout, but came along the road from the Rhydfelen direction, then turned onto Common Road.

But I did the 37 reps to everest segment. And for the first time in a couple of years, on the 22% bit near the top, I got off and pushed for a couple of hundred yards!
1666558779182.png

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I thought I'd give it another try today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/8008380712

That climb is HARD. Admittedly, I was doing it with a 34/30 because I'd managed to trip over my bike earlier in the ride and bend the derailleur hanger slightly, so that in 34/32, it was just pinging the spokes, and I wasn't going to ride with it doing that.

I also didn't start from the absolute bottom, by the B&Q roundabout, but came along the road from the Rhydfelen direction, then turned onto Common Road.

But I did the 37 reps to everest segment. And for the first time in a couple of years, on the 22% bit near the top, I got off and pushed for a couple of hundred yards!
View attachment 665668

Nice work! I only discovered the cycle path between Llantrisant and Ponty recently. I like going up Garth Hill, then drop down to that cycle path then attempting the golf course climb.

Alex321

Veteran
Nice work! I only discovered the cycle path between Llantrisant and Ponty recently. I like going up Garth Hill, then drop down to that cycle path then attempting the golf course climb.

I was considering returning via Garth Hill, but decided against it. I haven't ever ridden up there, though I've driven it a few times. I've cycled up to Pentyrch from the other direction. I'd intended coming down into Nantgarw, but missed a turn so came down by Griffin Mill in Upper boat, and once there I couldn't be bothered heading down the valley to Gwaelod y Garth, just went up power station hill and back along the cycle path.

I can't say I was comfortable with the road from the Golf Club through Eglwysilan and beyond. It was rather busy for such a narrow & twisty road. Not sure I'll do that route again.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I was considering returning via Garth Hill, but decided against it. I haven't ever ridden up there, though I've driven it a few times. I've cycled up to Pentyrch from the other direction. I'd intended coming down into Nantgarw, but missed a turn so came down by Griffin Mill in Upper boat, and once there I couldn't be bothered heading down the valley to Gwaelod y Garth, just went up power station hill and back along the cycle path.

I can't say I was comfortable with the road from the Golf Club through Eglwysilan and beyond. It was rather busy for such a narrow & twisty road. Not sure I'll do that route again.

I'm surprised it was busy when you went up there, it's normally pretty empty when I go, but looks like it gets busy on a Sunday. By the other climb to Pentyrch, do you mean the one that cuts through Tyn-y-coed? That's also a very nice one.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm surprised it was busy when you went up there, it's normally pretty empty when I go, but looks like it gets busy on a Sunday. By the other climb to Pentyrch, do you mean the one that cuts through Tyn-y-coed? That's also a very nice one.

I was rather surprised at how busy it was too. For the climb to Pentryrch, I meant the one from the A4119 direction (I then went down through Efail Isaf. I haven't tried the Tyn-y-Coed route yet, either up or down. This one https://www.strava.com/segments/2667376

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Steepest I’ve done is a 33% ramp on 30 / 28 but that was mid 40s on a road bike which meant I could stand up for the steepest sections. These days on my recumbent I have lower gearing as I’m always seated and max sustained gradient recently (last week) is 18% in the wet. At least on my recumbent I don’t have the front wheel lifting problem.

You will also find the highest gear you can climb a hill in decreases the further into a ride you are. What you may be able to manage in big ring when fresh may end up grovelling in granny ring after 130 miles of hills etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I was rather surprised at how busy it was too. For the climb to Pentryrch, I meant the one from the A4119 direction (I then went down through Efail Isaf. I haven't tried the Tyn-y-Coed route yet, either up or down. This one https://www.strava.com/segments/2667376

Oh I haven't tried that one, although I think I've gone up the way from Efail Isaf. I'll give it a go. More than one way to skin a cat!

Alex321

Veteran
Oh I haven't tried that one, although I think I've gone up the way from Efail Isaf. I'll give it a go. More than one way to skin a cat!

Too many routes up to Pentyrch. I was just looking at the map, and I think what you are referring to as Garth Hill may be the one called Rte Des Alpes on Maps, while the one I was referring to is Heol Goch.

I was just planning a route to go up the Tyn-y-coed way, then down Church road, round by Radyr and up Heol Goch. That will mean I've tried three ways up to Pentyrch, but there are still four more, and I think they are all going to be significant hills.

How does a village that size, perched on top of a hill have that many roads up to it?

Too many routes up to Pentyrch. I was just looking at the map, and I think what you are referring to as Garth Hill may be the one called Rte Des Alpes on Maps, while the one I was referring to is Heol Goch.

I was just planning a route to go up the Tyn-y-coed way, then down Church road, round by Radyr and up Heol Goch. That will mean I've tried three ways up to Pentyrch, but there are still four more, and I think they are all going to be significant hills.

How does a village that size, perched on top of a hill have that many roads up to it?

Garth hill was the inspiration for the film "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain"

Top Bottom