How big is your telly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Get into the 21st century daddyo....

47 in the kitchen, 42 in the living room (and it's on it's last legs so we'll swap that out for a 47 soon) and a 42 in the "boys' lounge". I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom

Big tellys aren't chavvy.....they're good

big tellies are great. In a big house. there is a terraced house round the corner from me and the telly fills the wall in the front room . looks like a nuclear glow from the front of the house when they have the football on . thats just Chavvy .

19 inch in the bedroom , mainly used on a saturday and sunday morning , or when wifey is off sick.

Well, it would seem I am on the small side, never been accused of that before. We recently went back to John Lewis for a dab radio and as you walk into the audio vision area you are confronted with a veritable sea of tv's and right at the back squished into a corner are the 32" tv's looking tiny. The only folk I saw looking at them were oap's, I pointed this out to dr_pink in the hope she would see that 32" isn't that big [sans innuendo please]. We bought the telly on the recommendation of Which, a fantastic price and Smart too, plays all the catch up stuff on all channels and comes with a 5 year guarantee, it still took some convincing.
Two further questions, the recommended viewing distance for 32" is 10 ft so is this even a factor when anyone buys a tv? Some of you must live in huge houses. In the hi tech digital age we now live in why are tv's measured in inches? [the same could be said for gears on bikes, but I can excuse them as they haven't changed much in 50 years or so].

BRounsley

Über Member
It’s a well documented fact that TVs shrink with use.

Thought TV have actually got smaller. My old 42 inch plasma had a massive bezel and arrived on a pallet. It was like doing the final “Atlas Stone” getting it on the wall mount. It also ran hot enough to dry washing.

If I’m watching a film I use the projector but if any sex scene comes on I’m painfully aware the whole street could see!!!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
If I were to be in the market for a projector I would factor in viewing distance...when buying a TV...never!

My mate has a nice sized apartment lounge and he just upgraded from 65inch to 90inch....it blew me away lol!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think these "recommended viewing distances" are a load of bollox. We have a long, thin lounge and were told at the time that 10ft away the biggest we should get was 42". We've had it years and it never feels too close. In another room we have another 42" and that's about 7ft away from the sofa. This is how it feels to be that close......no problem I think

20150122_154513.jpg

andyfraser

Über Member
I think these "recommended viewing distances" are a load of bollox. We have a long, thin lounge and were told at the time that 10ft away the biggest we should get was 42". We've had it years and it never feels too close. In another room we have another 42" and that's about 7ft away from the sofa. This is how it feels to be that close......no problem I think

View attachment 77660
I think it depends what you're watching. I'm not too bothered about screen size if I'm watching normal TV programmes but for films or HD nature programmes I like the biggest screen that's practical for the room.

42" downstairs as I wanted a cheap TV which didn't make a mess of SD.

37" on my office desk fed by a GT640 based HTPC which really kicks-ass in the colours dept.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
As a kid in the early 80s, I remember the excitement when my aunt and uncle bought a colour 26" TV. It seemed huge when we all went around to see it:rolleyes:
I remember in the mid 80s we had a 26" TV, which was massive then, and a mate said to me that he loved coming round to ours because when the telly was on it was like being in a cinema. Now we have a 50" in the back room, which is quite a big living room, and a 32" in the front which is a normal sized living room, and I feel the 32" is on the small side.

Mrs M

Guru
Oops forgot about the "Wendy house" (cabin in garden).
32 inch reasonably priced TV that Mr M picked up in Asda, not as good as the Sony or Panasonic but does the job in the wee hoose.
Send Mr M off with a couple of shandies, some crisps and the remote, happy as Larry :thumbsup:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
We seem to have a TV in every room. My room has a 32" smart TV, which is about as big as will fit in the available space. Still, it makes for more space as it fits on the wall at the end of my room, whereas my old telly - a 19-incher handed down from my dad's truck - needed a cabinet to stand on. That went in the spare room for when mine and my sister's girls stay. Soon after, ma and pa bought a 42" telly for the front room. The 37" one from there went in their room, and their old bedroom telly (again 19") went in the dining room. Finally, the 15" telly from the dining room, which is another cast off from my dad's truck when the DVD player broke (he used to have a lot of nights out), got given to my girls for their proper room...

The 42" front room telly is about as big as will fit in the gap, and I was unnerved by the big heads until I got used to it. The thin bezels on the newer tellies make flat-screens from a few years ago look clunky.

Cos you lot are slow coming up with the answers today [very unusual] I cheated and googled "why are tv's still measured in inches". Some hilarious reasons given, the truth being that America was the first in with tv and later computer screens and as we all know they cannot cope with metric, hell, over half of them think the earth was created a few thousand years ago and three quarters have never read a newspaper. I believe our continental neighbours measure their screens in cm, so why don't we?

Top Bottom