How can I compare a route and a ride (track) in "Ride With GPS"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hfinger

When you are navigating a planned route with "Ride with GPS" (a.k.a. RWGPS), it also records a track ("ride" in RWGPS jargon). This is terrifically handy because, if you encounter changes on the ground owing to roadworks, or see a shortcut, this is recorded as a deviation in the track.

But I am going nuts trying to figure out how to load the original route and the subsequent ride as layers so I can modify the route to follow the deviations on the track. I have tried to figure it out from the RWGPS Help site but just can't see how to do it.

This subforum is the nearest I have found to an RWGPS forum as the developers are not intending to start a forum any time soon.

-- Hedley

P.S. I have used RWGPS quite a bit and am happy to help others if I can. I always plan routes on a laptop browser and navigate using the Android app on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.* As I have coughed up $au80 per annum for the premium version, I find it wonderful to be able to plan a route with (automatically generated) voice cues, and listen to them as I am cycling. You can keep your attention on the road and I almost never have to glance down at the screen to see where I am.

* The Redmi Note 9 ($au390) is truly marvellous as it picks up three constellations of navsats. It is extremely sensitive and picks up the signal even in a forest or inside a building AND is also easy on the battery. I start the ride with 90% battery charge and it never gets below 65% even after riding all day. In fact, I leave Location on all the time and get three or four days' charge out of it under normal use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hfinger

GPS, BeiDou and GLONASS; also Galileo in northern hemisphere

OP
OP
H

hfinger

When you are navigating a planned route with "Ride with GPS" (a.k.a. RWGPS), it also records a track ("ride" in RWGPS jargon). This is terrifically handy because, if you encounter changes on the ground owing to roadworks, or see a shortcut, this is recorded as a deviation in the track.

But I am going nuts trying to figure out how to load the original route and the subsequent ride as layers so I can modify the route to follow the deviations on the track. I have tried to figure it out from the RWGPS Help site but just can't see how to do it.

This subforum is the nearest I have found to an RWGPS forum as the developers are not intending to start a forum any time soon.

-- Hedley

P.S. I have used RWGPS quite a bit and am happy to help others if I can. I always plan routes on a laptop browser and navigate using the Android app on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.* As I have coughed up $au80 per annum for the premium version, I find it wonderful to be able to plan a route with (automatically generated) voice cues, and listen to them as I am cycling. You can keep your attention on the road and I almost never have to glance down at the screen to see where I am.

* The Redmi Note 9 ($au390) is truly marvellous as it picks up three constellations of navsats. It is extremely sensitive and picks up the signal even in a forest or inside a building AND is also easy on the battery. I start the ride with 90% battery charge and it never gets below 65% even after riding all day. In fact, I leave Location on all the time and get three or four days' charge out of it under normal use.
In Europe, my Redmi Note 9 Pro could also pick up Galileo, as well as GPS, Glonass, and BeiDou. Here in Australia it typically gives results like 36 satellitesvisible, using 28!

OP
OP
H

hfinger

Alex:

This is exactly what I want! Knew it had to be doable but couldn't figure out how to get that layer.

Top Bottom