How can I get my HD back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
marnin'

Ok, device mgr looks like this:

dm.jpg

So there are six devices that clearly aren't happy - the five in the top list, and that isolated 'PCI Device' lower down.

The five top ones are, in order, from the top:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_15\4&23F5EDAD&0&00E0
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_00\4&3B3A03B5&0&1AF0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11018086&REV_61\4&227633DA&0&00E2
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_283E&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&FB
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_A1\4&171B8011&0&0008

and the bottom one is:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_902D104D&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&D8

Is that helpful?
(As you will have gathered, I'm in way over my head here. All of this is gobbeldegook to me,so any help you can offer would be much appreciated. )

Thanks.

download the top entry at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2753&DwnldID=21559&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss for wireless or go here http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/?iid=subhdr dnlds_detect and run the auto detect utility which should do this driver and the smbus controller and the audio controllers which are the last unidentified driver..
download this http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-winxp-266.58-whql-driver-uk.html for the video card.
Download the bottom entry from here http://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/search.do for the gigabit ethernet connection
The mass storage device is the card reader and texas instruments say they leave that to the manufacturer so go to that xp downgrade page you linked to earlier and download the PCI xx12 drivers

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fantastic! Many thanks. I have to walk the dog right now, but I'll get onto it when I come back, and post on progress when I'm done.

Just occurred to me that for the wireless drivers you should download those, get the wireless working and then return to this thread on the laptop and run the autodetect software from intel as that's not a complete set of drivers in that utility so it will need an internet connection to function.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've actually managed to get online by using a USB wi-fi dongle...should I start by just going direct to that second support/detect link?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. Should I do that first? I seem to remember reading somewhere about 'instal the chipset first'...

rusky

CC Addict
Thanks. Should I do that first? I seem to remember reading somewhere about 'instal the chipset first'...
Yup! That's correct!

if you click on the auto detect utility then it should pick up those drivers without having to download the individual drivers such as chipset hence why I didn't bother to list them as they are all intel. I seem to have forgotten you used the wireless dongle.
On the other hand I just ran it and it BSOD'd but without any damage.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well, two steps forward, one step back....as I expect with this sort of thing.

I managed to install the chipset driver and the wireless, which is great. But the auto detect thing won't.

It flags up graphics and audio drivers and wired and wireless networking, but for all of them it reads:

fail.jpg

Still, that's progress!

Doesn't matter as it only does intel drivers, follow the other links I provided for the other drivers which are non intel.
The audio could be tricky as it seems to relate to microsoft/intel drivers and I would suggest you run the windows update tool and start with installing just the service packs then the smaller stuff and see if the driver comes in with sp3

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ah, therein lies another glitch! I'm having trouble running updates, 'cos Microsoft won't register my XP. I thought I could use the COA on the laptop, which is absolutely valid, but it won't take it, presumably because it's for Vista, and I'm trying to run XP. I've tried a couple of old COAs from old dead PCs running XP Pro, but again, no dice. I was planning to sort this out by talking to MS direct, but haven't yet. I was trying to get all this stuff sorted first.

Unless it's xp pro you are installing then that won't work, even if it is it probably won't work as those will be oem keys.
Have fun with microsoft help lines :biggrin:

Top Bottom