How can I remove this freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Can anyone help me identify this casette /freewheel. It is 7 speed
I'm assuming I will need a special tool to remove this.
Are replacements readily available?
Any help would be appreciated
IMG-20190306-WA0002.jpg

Shi**no freewheel remover TL-FW30 or equivalent. Plus a vice or v. long spanner.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
happy to be corrected but it doesn't look like TLFW30 will fit that? I cannot see the slots for it to go in. Looks like that larger lock ring needs loosening?
There is definitely a lock ring with 5 notches on it. The inside of this is smooth, so a normal Shimano tool doesn't fit.
I may have to revert to an old screwdriver and a mallet!

We'd be able to see the splines in the block if the wheel nut wasn't in the way.

The ring we can see keeps the sprockets on the freewheel. Removing it won't get us any closer to the block.

Isn't 'block' a great word? Shame we don't get to use it very often these days.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
We'd be able to see the splines in the block if the wheel nut wasn't in the way.

The ring we can see keeps the sprockets on the freewheel. Removing it won't get us any closer to the block.

Isn't 'block' a great word? Shame we don't get to use it very often these days.
Thanks Mickle I've had a closer look and cab see the splines on the inside. I will see if I can get it off at the weekend.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Some (especially 7-speed) screw-ons use the Shimano pattern splines but require a deeper tool to reach than others. Certainly true of the DNP Epoch ones

Some (especially 7-speed) screw-ons use the Shimano pattern splines but require a deeper tool to reach than others. Certainly true of the DNP Epoch ones
A freewheel remover is a pretty standard length. Are you thinking of a cassette lock ring remover which has the same number and shape splines but very much shorter ?

chriscross1966

Über Member
A freewheel remover is a pretty standard length. Are you thinking of a cassette lock ring remover which has the same number and shape splines but very much shorter ?
No... ive got a freewheel remover that fits every splined freewheel it has been at, but the Epoch is recessed a bit deeper and needs a longer tool. The Shimano one does indeed fit a lot of cassettes, but the lockring only tools aren't as deep as the dual purpose ones and most dual purpose ones aren't long enough for the Epoch.

No... ive got a freewheel remover that fits every splined freewheel it has been at, but the Epoch is recessed a bit deeper and needs a longer tool. The Shimano one does indeed fit a lot of cassettes, but the lockring only tools aren't as deep as the dual purpose ones and most dual purpose ones aren't long enough for the Epoch.
Thank you, I learned something.

Top Bottom