How can wearing a helmet offer no protection from injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I'm a newcomer to cycling and therefore do not have the knowledge of some of the previous posters on this discussion thread. Having said that I'm a firm believer in the adage; prevention is better than cure.

Personally I will always wear a helmet when cycling. This gives me comfort in the knowledge that should I have an accident, then the helmet will afford some protection against serious head injury.

a perfectly normal and understandable logic, one i agree with despite others wrongly claiming i believe something else

good post btw
smile.gif

Mark_Robson

Or more importantly as people claim.........

Which is the real issue- they do offer some protection, but as in a recent case where it was claimed that they prevented facial injuries, some claims do need to be challenged if someone is going to use this information to decide
Agreed.... but it's interesting that no one has challenged Mickles statement. If I had written something along the lines of helmets save lives I would have had all the usual suspects come down on me like a tonne of bricks, yet no one challenges an equally contentious statement.

Could it be that people who do wear helmets and believe that they do have a place in cycling safety read statements like Mickles and think to themselves what's the point in trying to reason with people who think that way?

I find that people who are pro helmet very quickly get worn down to the point that they don't bother contributing to these debates leaving the door wide open for people to write sensationalistic claims that are not challenged.

BTW I took a chunk out of my scalp the other week because I hadn't opened my up and over garage door high enough and I wasn't paying attention when I wheeled my bike out. Wow scalp wounds don't half bleed! Last time I did the same thing I was wearing my helmet and guess what? No scalp wound.

So I can assure you that helmets can, and do prevent injuries. Mind you opening the garage door a little higher works as well. :thumbsup:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm a newcomer to cycling and therefore do not have the knowledge of some of the previous posters on this discussion thread. Having said that I'm a firm believer in the adage; prevention is better than cure.

Personally I will always wear a helmet when cycling. This gives me comfort in the knowledge that should I have an accident, then the helmet will afford some protection against serious head injury.

to understand the naivety of your statement, please do some reading. certain helmet designs, may actually cause more injury. when you bought your helmet, were you trained on how to use it? workers in industry have to be trained to use ppe inc hard hats.

david k

Hi
workers in industry have to be trained to use ppe inc hard hats.

i have been involved in construction, H&S and training for years and nobody ime has ever been trained to wear a hard hat

they do get trained
they do wear hard hats

but they are not trained to wear a hard hat, simply told to

david k

Hi
to understand the naivety of your statement, please do some reading.

you claim people are trained to put a hard hat on and then suggest the poster was naive! how ironic

lukesdad

to understand the naivety of your statement, please do some reading. certain helmet designs, may actually cause more injury. when you bought your helmet, were you trained on how to use it? workers in industry have to be trained to use ppe inc hard hats.

IYO :thumbsup:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Agreed.... but it's interesting that no one has challenged Mickles statement. If I had written something along the lines of helmets save lives I would have had all the usual suspects come down on me like a tonne of bricks, yet no one challenges an equally contentious statement.

Could it be that people who do wear helmets and believe that they do have a place in cycling safety read statements like Mickles and think to themselves what's the point in trying to reason with people who think that way?

I find that people who are pro helmet very quickly get worn down to the point that they don't bother contributing to these debates leaving the door wide open for people to write sensationalistic claims that are not challenged.

BTW I took a chunk out of my scalp the other week because I hadn't opened my up and over garage door high enough and I wasn't paying attention when I wheeled my bike out. Wow scalp wounds don't half bleed! Last time I did the same thing I was wearing my helmet and guess what? No scalp wound.

So I can assure you that helmets can, and do prevent injuries. Mind you opening the garage door a little higher works as well. :thumbsup:

all your anecdotal evidence suggests, is that pedestrians should use helmets or bump caps and adds to the (widely accepted) statistics that more injuries happen in the home than cycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom