How can wearing a helmet offer no protection from injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Your choice. I would rather see helmet tests that simulate real world events.

i agree with that
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The problem is that helmet specs are backwards.

The test was to simulate what an existing helmet would stand, NOT what was needed . Once the test spec was cast in aspic then helmets were designed to pass the test, just.

I appreciate that. Hence asking for real world testing. For example there are several youtube videos showing helmets being crushed by cars. However al the helmets are top up not on the side as you would expect in an accident.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have been involved in construction, H&S and training for years and nobody ime has ever been trained to wear a hard hat

they do get trained
they do wear hard hats

but they are not trained to wear a hard hat, simply told to
you obviously do not a cscs cert then, therefore never been onto a big job, because believe me, i have and they do, hse made it law.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
1543431 said:
You would expect them to resist crushing better top up than on their side but that is of course an untested intuitive opinion.

Indeed. Of course the tests do not have a head inside the helmets either. Ideally a crash-test dummy with a helmet on should have its' head run over. Or maybe this is a challenge for the Jack Ass team?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I appreciate that. Hence asking for real world testing. For example there are several youtube videos showing helmets being crushed by cars. However al the helmets are top up not on the side as you would expect in an accident.

But we keep coming back the the problem that a cycle helmet is only really half a helmet, a hel if you like.

A real helmet has a hard outer shell the spreads the point load and a soft inner that is frangible enough to crush, cushioning the head and reducing the deacceleration , The hard outer shell also keeps the soft inner together, stopping it shattering under forces higher than it can absorb. The soft inner should also be fully covering , not with holes and slots for straps,light, cameras heat vents etc...

1543431 said:
You would expect them to resist crushing better top up than on their side but that is of course an untested intuitive opinion.

Why are helmets sold in a box?

david k

Hi
you obviously do not a cscs cert then, therefore never been onto a big job, because believe me, i have and they do, hse made it law.

so what if you have a cscs, does it make you better equipped to make claims? If it does then yes i do have a cscs, and NEBOSH, and teaching qual blah blah, so what. does the person with the most quals know how to wear a hat better than somebody who has fewer quals?

worked on many big jobs as you put it and the thought of several construction workers being told how to put on a hat is hilarious. The only thing people need to be aware of with a cycle helmet is to use the straps properly, how much 'teaching' does that take?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
But we keep coming back the the problem that a cycle helmet is only really half a helmet, a hel if you like.

A real helmet has a hard outer shell the spreads the point load and a soft inner that is frangible enough to crush, cushioning the head and reducing the deacceleration , The hard outer shell also keeps the soft inner together, stopping it shattering under forces higher than it can absorb. The soft inner should also be fully covering , not with holes and slots for straps,light, cameras heat vents etc...

You are missing the point. If real life tests were carried out and made available to the general public informed choice would be far more simple. It might also encourage helmet manufacturers to improve helmet designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom