How can you make the world a better place ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was at a climate strike yesterday.

At the open mic session I youngster stood up to speak - he was probably about 7. He said "It's not just about governments doing things. We can all do something - like switching off lights, using less of stuff"

So, though it generally seems to be an insurmoutable problem, I'll continue doing whatever small, everyday things I can.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was at a climate strike yesterday.

At the open mic session I youngster stood up to speak - he was probably about 7. He said "It's not just about governments doing things. We can all do something - like switching off lights, using less of stuff"

So, though it generally seems to be an insurmoutable problem, I'll continue doing whatever small, everyday things I can.

It's got to be both top down, and bottom up.

Then we meet in the middle :okay:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-24 at 20.01.55.jpeg

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
That's using figures for feed lot beef, where arable crops are grown elsewhere and taken to the housed, animals, which then creates a massive slurry problem.

Pasture fed beef is a completely different animal.

Context is everything.

That's very true, however in regards to that and your previous post, the world is not going to be fed on livestock raised in pastures. It isn't efficient enough, by a long long way. It uses huge amounts of land for one thing. Also I'm not sure that the numbers would actually be better for pasture livestock.

As you said before, people will need to eat less meat and dairy- but it's going to have to be a lot, lot lot less, if we're not going to have a climate disaster.

Additionally why harm and kill something when we have no need to.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's very true, however in regards to that and your previous post, the world is not going to be fed on livestock raised in pastures. It isn't efficient enough, by a long long way. It uses huge amounts of land for one thing. Also I'm not sure that the numbers would actually be better for pasture livestock.

As you said before, people will need to eat less meat and dairy- but it's going to have to be a lot, lot lot less, if we're not going to have a climate disaster.

Additionally why harm and kill something when we have no need to.

Done properly pasture grazed livestock can be highly productive, of a nutrient dense product per acre, and be carbon negative.

It's not standard practice right now, but is catching on, with many forward thinking farmers.

And not all soils are suited to arable crops.
Arable can be very damaging to fragile soils, which in turn liberates more carbon.

The ethical dietary decision not to consume animal products is a seperate one.
But rest assured that many animals get harmed by solely plant based agriculture too.
It's an inescapable fact of life, and death..

What we need to transition away from is industrialised agriculture, whether plant or animal.

This is the culprit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whatever diet people eat, and no matter how that food is produced, the fundamental problem is that there are too many people on the planet! I am 64 and there were about 2.7 billion people when I was born; the figure is thought to be about 7.5 billion now. Tens of thousands of years to get to 2.7 bn but only 64 years to add another 4.8 bn!

I was shocked when I watched the Star Trek episode 'The Mark of Gideon' made in 1969. The global population then was 'only' 3.6 bn - it has more than doubled in the half century since!

Having children is obviously very important to most people so it can be a touchy subject to discuss, but fundamentally, the world would be a better place if each person were only having one child, or two per couple.

Have a look at Maslow Hierarchy Of Needs.A lot of things we want are not needs but wants.We could live without high end cars high end fashion clothing £5000 bikes. I wonder if Maslow reviews his list what it would look like in today’s consumer society.
That maslow thing though is very often used by companies to screw more work
/Devotion out of their stressed out wageslaves and by others to flog folks tat they don't actually need. I once knew a bullshitter anarcho syndacalist (whatever the f that meant) who became bright eyed at the corporate possibilities of it.

Nice thread start op, some nice stuff in here.

i really try and only buy stuff when i need it. i'll try fix it before throwing something out. i still 'darn' socks where possible! (i just don't let anyone see me doing it

I remember socks being darned as a kid. I don't do it but i do grade socks. Some pretty threadbare things used for walks to very local pub.
I did recently amateurishly darn the mesh of some spesh shoes where i'd snagged it. Hardly invisible mending but few people grovel to peer at my feet. Will last a few more years yet.

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Seriously though, the world is overpopulated and it's getting worse. People struggle to support their children, it may be 'society's' fault in some way, but 'society' didn't get them pregnant (indeed 'society' in the UK provides free contraception).
Many a truth...
Reminds me of a Tv show I saw about a village in the south west where a couple were complaining that there wern't homes for their children to live in like they had when they were that age. They had 6 children and 11 grandchildren, so assuming they want a house each thats 17 houses to replace the one their parents had. Extrapolate that across every other consumable and so obvious why the world/system is creaking!

Kryton521

Über Member
I just despair that paying £1k for a phone is becoming the norm - yet if you show a bit of compassion for the homeless you are viewed as somewhat odd
George Orwell sums it up:-

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”
Sad, but so true.

Top Bottom