How can you ride it like that?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It looks like a coaster brake on the back but nothing on the front. :eek: :ohmy: :B)
Thats correct. But he still got up and down the mountains.

Brings my OCD on as well, when I see saddles lower than handlebars, rusty chains, handlebars/saddles not level, lights hidden by panniers, riders wearing shorts in December, not enough seat post showing (frame too big).

But riders with knees sticking out - knew/know a rider who you could recognise from a mile away because of his sticking out knees, but he was an extremely gusty rider, riding TT's and massed starts and was a very good club rider.
I'd better not post pictures of my bikes then ! :whistle:

Levo-Lon

Guru
To some, bikes have no value or meaning, they are just transport. They need not clean or look after it. Once ridden into the ground they will get another and do the same.

applies to a lot of car van owners too.
bold flat tyres filthy lights and windows ...grrr

I can remember when I was young that I used to cycle with my heel gripping the back of the pedal. I found that it was the easiest way of riding with ordinary shoes on wet rubber block pedals . It was only later on that I changed the position to the ball of my feet . Perhaps some people are just unaware of the correct position?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
applies to a lot of car van owners too.
bold flat tyres filthy lights and windows ...grrr

Why would you expect anyone to worry about a working vehicle, especially a company one the actual driver doesn't own and didn't buy with their own money? They're nothing more than work tools to most people. I drive motors at work and I never wash them either. That is what rain is for! I do put air and oil in them, but that's about it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Why would you expect anyone to worry about a working vehicle, especially a company one the actual driver doesn't own and didn't buy with their own money? They're nothing more than work tools to most people. I drive motors at work and I never wash them either. That is what rain is for! I do put air and oil in them, but that's about it.

Says it all really

Sharky

Guru
I can remember when I was young that I used to cycle with my heel gripping the back of the pedal. I found that it was the easiest way of riding with ordinary shoes on wet rubber block pedals . It was only later on that I changed the position to the ball of my feet . Perhaps some people are just unaware of the correct position?
There have been different theories about cleat positions in the past. If you consider when you are digging with a spade, the position you adopt is with the spade in the middle of the foot as you described when you were young and not using the ball of the foot. This is the position that gives most power when digging. The theories often come out on the 1st of April, but might have some grounding of truth.

If people did not buy new there would be far fewer jobs, I take it your income does not depend on people spending. I feel you are the fool for not enjoying spending money, if you have it, so stop insulting people like me who do spend it.
Skipdiver wasn't criticising the original purchase but buying something good, hopefully designed and built to run sweet, then grinding it away to something that rides less well than a hack bike. Hence the likes his post got I assume. Buying stuff for stuff's sake isn't a civic duty/virtue.

I like these type of people, because they sell the bike for next to nothing due to a rusty chain, badly adjusted brakes, gears and bearings. Things that can easily be fixed....
:smile:

Yes, not unusual to see an ad ad that says the tyres need pumping up. At worst, probablly a tube needs patching/replacing. Tis true I did once buy a bike where the tyre exploded onofirst pump due to perishing. But that was because it had clearly sat in a garage unused for 20 years. Rest of bike was in showroom condition.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
There have been different theories about cleat positions in the past. If you consider when you are digging with a spade, the position you adopt is with the spade in the middle of the foot as you described when you were young and not using the ball of the foot. This is the position that gives most power when digging. The theories often come out on the 1st of April, but might have some grounding of truth.

Hmm, i dig with the ball of my foot but then ive done a lot of shovel work.
amateur shovel users tend to use the heal stop.
Nowt wrong with that ,but its better for the ankle using the ball.

Think i may have strayed off topic:laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Skipdiver wasn't criticising the original purchase but buying something good, hopefully designed and built to run sweet, then grinding it away to something that rides less well than a hack bike. Hence the likes his post got I assume. Buying stuff for stuff's sake isn't a civic duty/virtue.

You do not have to read many of his posts to be insulted, if like myself you like to spend yor money on things of your own choosing. Maybe not a civic duty but did your job or the one you have now not depend on people spending money.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
similarly to the OP, I noticed a guy on the way home from work, clearly struggling with barely any air in his tyres and by the looks of each lunging push on his pedals, no grease in any bearings either. Come to think of it, he had the wind behind him too.

screenman

Legendary Member
similarly to the OP, I noticed a guy on the way home from work, clearly struggling with barely any air in his tyres and by the looks of each lunging push on his pedals, no grease in any bearings either. Come to think of it, he had the wind behind him too.

I take it that you stopped and offered the use of your pump.

Top Bottom