How clean was the Tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Do we know if this is legit? First time I've seen it. I mean, is it really a "Secret Pro" or a journalist pretending to be? Sorry if I'm being naive.

The standard procedure for stuff like this IME is for a journo to interview the "columnist" over the phone, then turn the interview into something readable.

I believe it's legit though. If you look at the comments, the speculation is that it's Simon Gerrans or Simon Clarke, either of which I could well believe.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
"His identity is known to only three people: the Pro, the ghost writer, and myself. The writer and myself carry cyanide tablets in case there is a leak, and the pro will ride off into the sunset and will never be heard from again.
I can tell you a few things, but I won’t divulge any more. He is a Pro within the ranks of the top teams in world cycling. He has raced multiple Grand Tours, Classics and World Championships, and finished highly in some. We can also tell you that he will be frank and up-front with his opinions and views. He will tell it like it is, without fear or favour, because nobody will know who he is…"
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/12/the-secret-pro/

raindog

er.....
The standard procedure for stuff like this IME is for a journo to interview the "columnist" over the phone, then turn the interview into something readable.

I believe it's legit though. If you look at the comments, the speculation is that it's Simon Gerrans or Simon Clarke, either of which I could well believe.
cheers smutchin - interesting....
As to who he means in Europcar, surely it's the performances of Rolland and Voeckler two years ago.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As to who he means in Europcar, surely it's the performances of Rolland and Voeckler two years ago.

From his 7th June column:
"Watching the posturing between the likes of Pierre Rolland and Thomas Voeckler has certainly been entertaining. You always know when the television broadcast begins because it’s the only time you’ll see them near the front."

Not a huge fan of either, it seems. ^_^

U

User169

Is it "wrapped" or "rapt"? Never been sure.

I've written this before in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.

Froome and the whole of SKY have repeatedly and firmly nailed their colours to the mast over doping. They insist they are clean, and after the Armstrong fiasco, remember he to repeatedly claimed to be clean, and the damage to Lance himself, I very much doubt they are 'doing an Armstrong' over this.

The damage to the brand, the members of the team and the sport would be so great if they are doping I suspect they are in fact, clean. Much to some peoples future disappointment.

LA never claimed to be clean, he claimed never to have failed a drugs test. A difference, albeit slight.

oldroadman

Veteran
It's a good piece by the secret pro. Whoever it is I would say is spot on about what was happening in the past, and how some of the "greats" still around from earlier years now look very ordinary. But alos consider, there are no "ordinary" riders in that top peloton, every single rider is an exceptional athlete, or they would not be there. Simply filling yourself with chemicals will not turn a donkey into a thoroughbred.
Some riders spent their career working away for others, and riding clean within the rules, maybe knowing what their leaders were doing to get results, but still working away. Rather a clean worker than a dirty star anyady thanks, and I'll take the modest pay. That way I can look my family in the eye and sleep at night. Though bless them, they have never asked the question, unlike some others. I always answered honestly.
TSP, if it is a journalist, is well informed and possibly it's an amalgam of several people's comments. He's spot on about coming back to earth though, the grass cutting and little domestic taks are a great leveller. As are the comments about the crits, they can be pretty full on because although things are generally sorted out, always someone from the local "mafia" will want to see just how good you really are! Happy days...

Top Bottom