How completely lazy and selfish.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
The amount of fly tipping really depresses me - beautiful countryside ruined buy the lazy uncaring slobs who cannot be arsed to dispose of correctly. The farmers must despair of having to clear up all the crap that is dumped in the their field gates.

gbb

Legendary Member
See it in my street all the time. Cars park along street, eat their chips/MaccyD/Kentucky...and just dump the wrappers at the side of the road. There's plenty of bins....just can't be arssed to walk a few metres.

Fly tipping was becoming endemic here as well, prolific dumping in almost every street. This in my mind is mostly residents, not man in van arriving and dumping a shedload. The local councillor really made a thing of it via FB etc, got loads of folk on side, arranged big skip collection days late last year, just bring it to an alloted point and job done. Several months later......its all starting over again, boxes, furniture, TVs just dumped at the roadside leaving the council....and us as taxpayers.....to pay,
Landlords of high turnover accomodation will doubtless be responsible as well. Clear a flat, chuck it in the street, move the next one in....and save yourself the expense of taking responsibility.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was at the Downhill and Jump Park, in Sherwood Pines yesterday..
The litter there was appalling!!
Empty cans and bottles strewn everywhere .
Not a car for miles. Just riders.

:sad:
What really puzzles me is.......they take them there full but cant be arsed to carry the empties back, or to the nearest bin.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This proves that council tip charges are too high or petrol is too cheap.

Rbbish is routinely dumped in my back lane.

I'm not far from the tip, and I suspect part of the problem is there is often a queue there.

People can't be bothered to wait, so toss the rubbish on their way home.

Charges come into it, we often get builders' waste dumped - old sinks, toilets, removed tiles, etc.

The tip would treat that as trade waste, so the builder charges the punter for disposal, but chucks the stuff in my back lane.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Rbbish is routinely dumped in my back lane.

I'm not far from the tip, and I suspect part of the problem is there is often a queue there.

People can't be bothered to wait, so toss the rubbish on their way home.

Charges come into it, we often get builders' waste dumped - old sinks, toilets, removed tiles, etc.

The tip would treat that as trade waste, so the builder charges the punter for disposal, but chucks the stuff in my back lane.
Yep that happens a lot, some guys will turn up with a tipper truck and offer to take 'stuff' away, charge the person and then just dump it anywhere. Mugs who fall for this don't know it's as cheap to get a skip.

Reactions: mjr

Brains

Legendary Member
This proves that council tip charges are too high or petrol is too cheap.

My council (Greenwich, SE London) like many councils had a major problem with fly tipping.
It was costing them millions per year to clear it up
The quick and easy solution was:
Open the tip 7 days a week
Car loads are free with proof that you live in the borough
(Commercial waste, vans, trailers etc still have to pay by weight, but its open every day)

Bottom line is money.
Which is cheaper ?
Clear up the fly tipping ?
or run the tip for free 7 days a week and pay for the staff ?

Our council recycles a lot of what they take at the tip, metal etc is resold.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's near a bin I suppose so they did their best. View attachment 459592
I don't recognise that packaging colour. Almost all of the stuff I see littering our road is "Mucky D" - which is odd when there are KFC, Greggs, Subway and at least three indies all as near or closer. Occasionally, I'll see a KFC box or bag, but much less. Does Mucky D's stuff not decompose as quickly or are their customers that much more awful?

bigjim

Legendary Member
My local council supplies volunteers with tools and bags for rubbish removal. You see these nice people out and about on the local roads picking up the rubbish that others dump. I think it's a good idea, but then the cynic in me thinks it's the council taking advantage of well meaning people and passing off it's duties to others for nothing.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have fond memories of driving along an almost deserted motorway, with mile after mile of lupins blooming on the central division, and not a trace of litter anywhere …….. in Sweden.
Compare that to the M42, for example - it's like driving through a tip. Country lanes are getting just as bad. It is so sad. I'm embarrassed and ashamed that visitors to the UK have to see this.

Top Bottom