How completely lazy and selfish.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was at the Downhill and Jump Park, in Sherwood Pines yesterday..
The litter there was appalling!!
Empty cans and bottles strewn everywhere .
Not a car for miles. Just riders.

:sad:

Exactly the same at some trail centre in Wales that I once visited. And I thought mountain bikers were "right-on" environmentally aware types.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My local council supplies volunteers with tools and bags for rubbish removal. You see these nice people out and about on the local roads picking up the rubbish that others dump. I think it's a good idea, but then the cynic in me thinks it's the council taking advantage of well meaning people and passing off it's duties to others for nothing.
Our village did this a couple of weeks ago, the rubbish in the laybys and along the bypass is building again already - polystyrene fast food wrapping, coffee cups, plastic soft drink bottles and an unbelievable number of alcohol cans - worrying if these are being thrown out by drivers. Why should WE have to pick it up? why can't these brain dead morons take it home

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I shall be out on the bi-annual scout river/park cleanup for a few hours tomorrow. It drives me wild to see people just throwing rubbish on the ground at all, but I really see red when there is a bin nearby. I embarrass my kids when I admonish people for dropping litter, more so when I march people back to pick it up.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I don't recognise that packaging colour. Almost all of the stuff I see littering our road is "Mucky D" - which is odd when there are KFC, Greggs, Subway and at least three indies all as near or closer. Occasionally, I'll see a KFC box or bag, but much less. Does Mucky D's stuff not decompose as quickly or are their customers that much more awful?

Chip shop boxes.

Reactions: mjr

brucers

Guru
What gets me is the can of coke, KFC etc is fine in the car whilst it has edible crap in it, then the moment it is done with it becomes rubbish that they don't want in their car a moment longer and out the window it goes.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Exactly the same at some trail centre in Wales that I once visited. And I thought mountain bikers were "right-on" environmentally aware types.
Life in your hands with some hard core mountain bikers near me. They fly down forest trails expecting ped to give way. No sign of a bell or a verbal warning.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I detest the pile of cigarette butts in the gutter. Where some lazy soul has emptied out his ashtray. Then there are the smokers who keep flicking ash out of the car window because they don't want their car to smell.

Brains

Legendary Member
Chip shop boxes.

The one redeeming feature of chip boxes is they are usually biodegradable.

When I'm in charge of the country, all packaging will either be biodegradable or recyclable.
Personally I think any company using polystyrene or plastics for packaging should be paying a litter penalty tax.

Imagine you had the choice of buying 100 plastic/polystyrene cups or 100 cardboard ones.
Which would you chose if the Plastic/polystyrene one cost twice as much as there was a tax to be paid.
I recon they would largely disappear within a year or two

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The one redeeming feature of chip boxes is they are usually biodegradable.

Why I'm in charge of the country, all packaging will either be biodegradable or recyclable.
Personally I think any company using polystyrene or plastics for packaging should be paying a litter penalty tax.

Imagine you had the choice of buying 100 plastic/polystyrene cups or 100 cardboard ones.
Which would you chose if the Plastic/polystyrene one cost twice as much as there was a tax to be paid.
I recon they would largely disappear within a year or two
A quarter century at least for a normal card coffee cup to degrade. Because they're waterproofed, which slows it degradation down.

Brains

Legendary Member
A quarter century at least for a normal card coffee cup to degrade. Because they're waterproofed, which slows it degradation down.

True, but better than plastic! which may be measured in millennia

(I thought it was the Costa Coffee ones that took the quarter century, I think normal ones are a lot less)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was listlessly chomping my way through a 1/4 pounder with cheese in the McD car park next to Brent Cross IKEA. A customised, champagne bucket exhaust, spoiler-clad hot hatch was parked nearby with four guys inside. The windows went down, the chips and containers were casually dropped onto the tarmac, and away they went with much macho revving. The car that took its place cost at least £30k and had a couple in the front seats and a girl aged about seven in the back. I just had to hang about to see what they did with the McD trash. Three windows went down, and they all dumped it onto the carpark tarmac. There was a rubbish bin within three feet of the driver.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I embarrass my kids when I admonish people for dropping litter, more so when I march people back to pick it up
Brings to mind the story I once read about the old lady who picked up a discarded cigarette packet from the pavement and offered it back through the open window of the offending car. "s'alright love, I don't need it," said the driver. "Neither does Cheltenham," she declared, dropping it into the car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom