How could you possibly not see me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Matthew - have you ever considered having a couple of driving lessons to help your roadcraft and understanding of other road users and why things happen. Everyone makes mistakes on the roads, cars, bikes, milkfloats - almost all of the time the incidents you report are not deliberate, just a miscalculation in a split second. Most drivers aren't out to get you (really), although your part of the world does seem to have a high proportion of aggressive so-and-so's, although sometimes your actions aren't conducive to an agreeable outcome.

Just a suggestion

I think it's the driver who needs extra lessons, as Matthew did nothing wrong.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Men like bluetooth! :tongue:

Ha - it's usually the expensive cars where the male drivers have phones to their ears.

Looking at the video, there appears to be road furniture blocking the drivers view - first few seconds. That said, he shouldn't have pulled out, but like we've said, sh1t happens !

freewheelwilly

I think Matthew needs to realize that other road users are going to do some dumb shoot out there on the road and no matter how lit up you may be or how assertive you are on the road. Not everyone is going to notice you or understand the speed you are travelling at when you are on a bike. If you want to test your road sense then spend a month commuting in London thinking everyone around you can see you and see where you end up.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Personal criticism like this is totally unnecessary.

Maybe a little restraint could have been shown... Yet every single person here would rather a non event with a driver (which this was), than have someone shout 'You dumb sh1t' at them.

I worry for society if more people genuinely think that the greater 'crime' here came from the driver.

We all did stupid things when we were younger. I shouted at people for little reason at some point I'm sure. Yet Matthews generation (I've got 10 years on him) live online. Had I put videos of me up as a teenager, calling someone a dumb sh1t I'd have expected people to remonstrate me for it. To not do so is crazy.

The driver made a mistake, Matthew behaved worse.

Scruffmonster

Über Member

If Matthew pulls up short and talks to the driver, the driver drives off thinking 'Keep your eyes open next time you wally, that could have been worse'. Instead he probably drove off thinking 'Poxy cyclists'.

The driver made a mistake. It happens. Do people really live such sheltered lives that they can't understand that concept? This incident right here is being replicated, right now, millions of times over. No matter what anyone does, or how well educated people are, it will go on.

We cannot control mistakes. We control our interactions. We can choose to make them healthy, or we can call people dumb sh1ts.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Matthew - have you ever considered having a couple of driving lessons to help your roadcraft and understanding of other road users and why things happen. Everyone makes mistakes on the roads, cars, bikes, milkfloats - almost all of the time the incidents you report are not deliberate, just a miscalculation in a split second. Most drivers aren't out to get you (really), although your part of the world does seem to have a high proportion of aggressive so-and-so's, although sometimes your actions aren't conducive to an agreeable outcome.

Just a suggestion
Driving lessons = next year.

Next June/July I will be getting a driving license.

freewheelwilly

Driving lessons = next year.

Next June/July I will be getting a driving license.
Will you be mounting a camera on the car so we can see your near misses with other road users?

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Out of frustration and fear.

That really is no excuse. Learn to push frustration and fear into a positive.

You got exactly nothing out of swearing at the guy. Any other response would have been better. Why didnt you just draw to a halt and say 'Crickey mate, how come you didn't see me'. At the worst he may have said 'Sorry, my bad, I thought I'd make it'. Best case he may have said 'Sorry, though maybe you should invest in a second light that flashes, I find that really helps me spot you guys'.

Hell, dream world case he may have said 'Sorry mate, I'm a cyclist myself and I know how that feels, complete brain fart there'.

Pick good options. The world is not out to get you.

freewheelwilly

That really is no excuse. Learn to push frustration and fear into a positive.

You got exactly nothing out of swearing at the guy. Any other response would have been better. Why didnt you just draw to a halt and say 'Crickey mate, how come you didn't see me'. At the worst he may have said 'Sorry, my bad, I thought I'd make it'. Best case he may have said 'Sorry, though maybe you should invest in a second light that flashes, I find that really helps me spot you guys'.

Hell, dream world case he may have said 'Sorry mate, I'm a cyclist myself and I know how that feels, complete brain fart there'.

Pick good options. The world is not out to get you.
I would second this motion. I used to eff and blind all the time and it got me into more trouble than the actual incident. A glare and a shrug of the shoulders as if to say WTF was that! is enough. In the incident you posted a glare at the driver and breaking so that you stopped with your wheel right on his door would have made it all too apparent how his actions almost lead to an accident and his precious car being scratched. At least thats how i sometimes have to deal with shoot situations similar to this and its proved more productive from the response of the said driver. At the end of the day its not worth getting your knickers in a twist over every road incident. Cycling is a happy, mellow, and healthy pursuit. You are heading the same way as the fat BMW driver stuck in a traffic jam getting stressed.
Enjoy your ride

Top Bottom