How cycling can help to reduce anxiety and stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
This week has been truly awful with all the news about this virus.
Watching country's going into melt down, and how its all going to affect us is pretty scary stuff. Even going about your daily routine, you can see it taking effect with panic buying and work places taking extra steps to reduce risks. Everyone is talking, either about there personal health or the impact it may have on them financially.
The news channels just seem to be constantly broadcasting it, as well as social media.
This is obviously something that is scaring the wit's out of the public (and for good reason too).
For me personally, after seeing and reading all this stuff on a daily basis, its really getting me extremely anxious to the point of feeling anxiety.
Today ive made the conscious decision to stop watching the news and stay away from eavesdropping on social media about it.
Like all of us we've all got to earn a crust to keep a roof over our heads, and our jobs and health all depend on this. We've got worries about our elderly loved ones and friends.
If you have any elderly neighbours i think it would a life line to make sure they are ok. Even if you don't want to have personal contact, there only a phone call away. It must be a frightening experience for them if there all alone,
Having someone to talk to and knowing there not alone will be a great help.
Today though i decided to get away from it all on the bike.
I picked a nice secluded route out into the countryside and just took in all the magnificent views. The sun was shining and spring is now really making an appearance. Halfway through, i stopped and watched all the spring lambs dancing around in the fields amongst the frantic noise of the birds. Nothing could of been further away from all the doom and gloom at the moment.
It seems life does go on outside our bubble of tv news and social media.
Getting back home i now feel much better for getting out there on my bike. Obviously the problems haven't gone away, but if cycling for a couple of hours helps I'm well up for that 😊👌

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
News, what news?

Business as usual for me, continuing to live in my bubble of isolation with my head in the sand. Only minor adjustments made to my normal routine due to unavoidable external influences.

I generally don't connect with 'The News' at the best of times and once they start the feeding frenzy on stories like this I definitely disengage.

Keeps me sane......

Globalti

Legendary Member
Over-reliance on the media can cause depression because they only tell you bad news. I've always enjoyed getting out into the hills on foot, touring ski or bike because the exercise is good for mental and physical health and it's good to be reminded that despite all the human idiocy, real life does go on unchanged.

Kryton521

Über Member
Mentioned this before, struggled with depression and anxiety most of my adult life. Some days I really, really hate me. On a good day I get out on my bike, cycle for two plus hours, not a fast rider, over weight, questionable knees. But If I can get out and some days I really have to fight me to get out. By the time I come back, everything has dropped away, the endorphins last pretty much for days at a time. I do go to the gym, try to swim various other activities as they are all good for health of mind and body. But for me, cycling is the best.
Sorry, long answer. But cycling should be on the NHS, supported, even dragging the saddo's like me out the door and onto the bike when it is all too much for us!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Mentioned this before, struggled with depression and anxiety most of my adult life. Some days I really, really hate me. On a good day I get out on my bike, cycle for two plus hours, not a fast rider, over weight, questionable knees. But If I can get out and some days I really have to fight me to get out. By the time I come back, everything has dropped away, the endorphins last pretty much for days at a time. I do go to the gym, try to swim various other activities as they are all good for health of mind and body. But for me, cycling is the best.
Sorry, long answer. But cycling should be on the NHS, supported, even dragging the saddo's like me out the door and onto the bike when it is all too much for us!
What a fantastic post buddy. I couldn't agree more with you.
It doesn't matter though if you're feel over weight, slow or suffer from dodgy knees. What really matters is your coming home feeling better about life. I admire people like yourself who suffer with depression that push themselves to manage it.
Just getting through the front door can take more energy than the cycle ride it self when you're feeling low.
Never hate yourself because you probably don't realise it, but there's many a person who is suffering the same who look up to you for showing that depression and anxiety can be managed with a strong determination which you obviously have.
Your an inspiration to us all 👍👍

lane

Veteran
Luckily don't generally suffer with depression or anxiety although I'm sure cycling helps with that. However this past week has been grim obviously. Getting out on my bike yesterday was great. Made me feel a lot better if only for a few hours. Also a bonus that for the time cycling I was at more or less zero risk of infection.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve been lucky, rarely had depression or anxiety, but the news lately has really got me down. I went to London today to ride with some eccentrics on shopper bikes, it really cheered me up, the lovely weather helped.

Top Bottom