How dare I think this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Diving.

Apparently water polo is the hardest of all team sports, and one of the dirtiest too.
Yeah, they do tactical poos in the pool

(If you are ever bored and up for a giggle, go down your local pool and drop a Lion bar into the water, sit back, and watch the chaos ensue)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oddly enough I think that the track events fit into the olympics much better than the RR and TT.
I'm with this too. The Olympics should go back to its roots of amateur sport. Cycle road racing and TT is dominated by the professional teams and that is where they should stay. All sports with similar ethics ie for the money rather than the country should follow suit so out go tennis, football, basketball .

Yes I know that Team GB spend a lot of money of track cycling and yes I know that a lot of that money comes from Sky but when the winner stands up there and gets the medal they do it for themselves and their country, not Team Sky.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'm with this too. The Olympics should go back to its roots of amateur sport. Cycle road racing and TT is dominated by the professional teams and that is where they should stay. All sports with similar ethics ie for the money rather than the country should follow suit so out go tennis, football, basketball .

Yes I know that Team GB spend a lot of money of track cycling and yes I know that a lot of that money comes from Sky but when the winner stands up there and gets the medal they do it for themselves and their country, not Team Sky.
Agreed, though I like that with the footer they make it under 23 for most of the players, I think they should do something similar with all the other sports that just field a bunch of pros

martint235

Dog on a bike
Agreed, though I like that with the footer they make it under 23 for most of the players, I think they should do something similar with all the other sports that just field a bunch of pros
Yep I can live with that idea. Then like boxing, if they are good they can go off and have a pro career if they wish.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
LIke young Oscar representing Brazil who just signed a £23m deal with Chelsea. Even the U23s are hardly waifs and innocents abroad these days.
I gave up being a purist about sport some years ago when it struck me that whilst I find synchronised swimming, ice-dancing, rhythmic gymnastics comical, they give others pleasure and I can just not watch them.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I agree with everybody above, including those who disagree with me but not including those whose posts either make no sense or disagree with a poster other than me.

As to cycling... although it has Olympic provenance I do get the point about TT and RR being less 'Olympic' than velodrome events. I think I might be changing my views there...

But there are one or two events I don't get. For all that Saint Hoy has won it, the one with motorcycles that gradually speed up seems an odd one. As far as I'm aware, it is an East Asian professional event with its origins in betting. I may be wrong. I usually am.

I ride an MTB, so I don't want to knock it, but it just doesn't seem very Olympic to me. I realise others will think it is. No-one has defended BMX on this thread as an Olympic sport. Quite right too.

As to swimming, I'm with everyone who says there's a little too much of it.

I like the idea of Tug of War returning.

Anecdotally, there was a joke in diplomatic circles that S Korea had wanted to introduce parachuting to the 1988 Games, but had decided against it in case the North sent an unusually large team. Sorry, jokes in diplomatic circles are not as funny as they ought to be.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
But there are one or two events I don't get. For all that Saint Hoy has won it, the one with motorcycles that gradually speed up seems an odd one. As far as I'm aware, it is an East Asian professional event with its origins in betting. I may be wrong. I usually am.

I think you're right, I'm not entirely sure myself, but I agree. I would drop the keirin and the team sprint and bring back the individual pursuit and the madison.

Or keep them all in and drop BMX.

d.

Top Bottom