How did I crack my carbon frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QED

Hello, I'm a road cycling newbie with a question for the cyclechat hivemind:

The top tube of my Planet X Pro Carbon cracked in 3 places in the middle.

It was only 10 months old and still under warranty, but Planet X has refused to honour the warranty because they claim they have never seen such a break and it must have been caused by being improperly "clamped" or misused. I don't own a bike stand and have never clamped it to anything. It has been serviced by 2 reputable local bike shops that handle carbon frames every day. Planet X then said that the damage could have occurred from sitting on the top tube. I've never done that. I then thought it might be the Saris Bones 2 bike rack I used. I called the manufacturer and they assured me it was safe for carbon bikes. I have never crashed (on this bike).

Can anyone help me diagnose what, if anything, I might have done to cause the fracture on my top tube?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ayceejay

Guru
Clamping does sound like the most obvious I must say but I think it is something that needs closer inspection by an unbiased party, if Planet X won't have a look. perhaps you could post a photo?

Citius

I can see where they (PX) are coming from and I would probably have the same reaction initially. Further comment not possible without pics.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
My pro carbon frame cracked at the BB and they replaced it no questions asked. Sorry that's not all that helpful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They have fobbed you off. Find out the name and address of their MD and write a clear, polite and business-like letter, delivered by recorded post, with pictures enclosed and explain why you are dissatisfied. Ask them to examine the frame and if they refuse, ask them to nominate an independent engineer, with the understanding that if the engineer finds in their favour you will drop the case but if he finds in your favour they must agree to pay his fees and replace the frame.

Ask on here if you need advice on the wording of the letter.

Leodis

Veteran
Its an odd place for it to crack. Being a reputable LBS is all fine and well but we all make mistakes and maybe they clamped the frame rather than seat post? That sounds like the most plausible explanation as to how the frame has been damaged.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get the small claims forms from your local County Court website. Fill them out for the cost of a new bike, and send a copy to their MD by recorded delivery giving them 7 days to undertake to replace the bike or frame, or you will lodge the forms with the court. Inform them you will henceforth be adding 20 sovs to the bill for every letter, phone call. Email, or shop visit you have to conduct in order to resolve the matter to cover the value of your time.

Worked for me once with a car.

Reactions: QED

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
It's up to Planet X to prove it wasn't, not you to prove it was.
My understanding of the SOGA is that it's Planet X's job to prove it was the customer until six months have elapsed. After six months, the onus is on the customer. IYAM the onus is also on the customer to then decide the supplier is an unprofessional, recalcitrant waste of space and ensure they're named and shamed.

OP
OP
Q

QED

Update and picture below. Thank you all for the helpful advice.

Update: I spoke to a manager and Planet X is still refusing to honour the warranty. They offered to replace the frame, rebuild the bike and send it back to me for £150 (original cost of frame £500, currently on sale on their website for £250). Since they have had my bike for 36 days and totally refused to budge on the warranty, they have my bike hostage, so I am paying the money to get my bike back. (and reserving the right to sue them in small claims court later.)

I have thought long and hard about how else this might have happened to my bike and the only time it has ever left my sight and control was when I took the Eurostar and checked it in. I packed it in bubble wrap, cardboard and duct tape and put it in a Planet X bike bag but it might have been thrown around or had something heavy drop on it in transit.

Conclusion: I don't know how this happened and Planet X can't possibly know how this happened (particularly as they never spoke to me about it before they refused to honour the warranty). My opinion, based on my experience, is that I can recommend Planet X bikes for their fantastic price: quality ratio and a great ride. But despite al their nice words about service on their website, taking over 30 days to deny a warranty claim is horrible customer service. My opinion based on my experience is that they do not stand behind their product or their warranty. They appeared to me be much more concerned about whether they were liable to replace the frame rather than finding out what the problem was or being concerned about their frame shearing on a ride and putting me in danger of serious injury.

Pics for those still interested:

Attachments

• Cracked Frame I.jpg
    Cracked Frame I.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 336
OP
OP
Q

QED

Another picture. Planet X tell me there were 3 cracks in the top tube (in the middle).

Attachments

• Cracked frame II.jpg
    Cracked frame II.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 275
Top Bottom